“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

"And I just wish just once in my life...
that somebody would apologize to me."

trying to capture some blooms... 
hoping they are here when Anthony gets home

I hadn't read the book in years.  It had to be at least 15 years ago that I read the book.  It had been suggested to me by my counselor at the time to read it.  And since I really wanted to heal my wounded heart... I did.

The Gift of Forgiveness by Charles Stanley.  I am not sure who I was trying to forgive at the time.  Probably my dad.  But it didn't matter.  My bitter wounded spirit interfered with many of my relationships... and so it was time to take responsibility... move out of my victim mentality... shedding my past behavior... and move forward towards abundant life in Christ.

I hadn't thought about the book for some time.  But when I had the opportunity to browse in the Lifeway Store while visiting family in Maryland the day after Christmas with major coupons in hand... I felt compelled to look for the book.  Not sure why.  Just compelled.  And, of course... it was there.

So the other day... when I received this message... I thought... Okay, God... I get it.

Hi Sheri,
Do you have a book in mind regarding forgiveness. I have a loooonnnngggg list of people that I need to forgive. Every time I nail it to the cross.......it falls off:( To put it deeply......I think the problem is more related to me being hurt by their rejection. And I just wish just once in my life.....that somebody would apologize to me. ....I tend to apologize to a lot of people for things I didn't even do..... I've been thinking of going to one of those 12 step recovery groups. However, not sure which group to begin with...because I have so much to recover from. A few nearby A/G churches offer these groups on Tuesday nights. Truthfully....I really wish a good book ...... and God could miraculously heal me of my misery. I am beginning to believe that I am one of those hurt people......that can easily hurt other people. Do you have any thoughts?
How precious is each one of us in His sight?  I ran up the stairs grabbed "The Gift of Forgiveness" and started re-reading it.  I mean... over 15 years ago is a long time to give a proper recommendation... so I read it... and it was as amazing as ever.  And I thanked God, again, for Charles Stanley... and his willingness to write this book.  And I was confident as I responded back to the dearest sister...
A really good book that I have read and found help from is "The Gift of Forgiveness" by Charles Stanley. It starts with our acceptance of forgiveness from God... moves to our forgiveness of others... and then gives practical steps. It even covers perceived rejection... and the desire for someone to apologize to you.

I encourage you to read through the book. Answer the questions at the end of each chapter by writing down your thoughts. Truly expect the Lord to heal you of this... ask for Him to do the difficult work so that you can live the abundant life He has for you.

Let me know if I can come alongside you in any of the process. If you would like to send me your answers... or discuss any of the chapters, I would be happy to do so.

With much love and prayer as you draw closer to the Lord!
Sheri


PS Would it be alright if I used your question anonymously on my blog? I think this will help a lot of others.

And she graciously answered that I could post her question... and that she would get the book... and give me an update.

And I posted her question for you... because some of you can hear yourself in what she wrote.  And you are waiting for that apology.  Because then you can move on with your life.  But it is not coming... and you are getting angry and bitter.  You keep trying to give it to the Lord, but you don't know how to... or you've tried and nothing has seemed to work.  I'm not saying that this book is "THE" answer... but it sure is a start.  Might as well give it a try?

I would love to hear any book recommendations you have... for forgiveness or whatever else you are working through.

8 comments:

beloved Mama said...

Awesome tip- thanks for sharing :)

rooney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rooney said...

Your posts are always so timely, Sheri. I am going to look for that book at my Lifeway and offer it to the ladies in my Sunday Evening Bible study as a give-away. We just finished the week on Patience in the study Living Beyond Yourself. One of the days specifically centered around 'forgiveness'.
I thank God that you are continually seeking to listen to His Still Small Voice. You are a blessing.

Jackie

elizabeth embracing life said...

Sheri I just sent a letter out to a person around this issue. I was going to ask you to pray over it with me and pushed send to fast. Forgiveness is easier said than done. I love how God soothes a heart that desires for peace. He honors that in each one of us.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I need this book... I feel exactly the same way--just wish for once that someone would apologize to me.

peace~elaine

gideonmommasita said...

beautiful picture. I don't need apologies...but I probably should apologize more.

Anonymous said...

Sheri
I love the flower. Great pictures.
Ruth

Lora said...

You have obviously had some good photography lessons - your picture of the blooms is lovely!

I love how you bought the book - that you were compelled too - I love to hear stories of people following the promptings of the Holy Spirit.

Blessings to you!