“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Monday, April 12, 2010

It Wasn't "That" Illegal...

I broke the law today.  And I was immediately caught.

I made a u-turn.  Across two yellow lines... not at an intersection.

I was tired of waiting for the construction flaggers to let our lane flow... so I decided to take matters into my own hands.  Two cars behind me... was an unidentified Oregon State Trooper.  He immediately pulled me over.  Lights and all.

He came up to my window... with all the other drivers gawking at me... with my husband sitting next to me... and my son in the back seat... and let me know that I had made an illegal u-turn.  He informed me of the dangers of illegal u-turns especially with a child in the car.  How the construction traffic might have been coming down the opposing lane without me knowing it.

And I listened.  Because he was right. 

But the scary thing?  It had not occurred to me that what I was doing was illegal.  I truly had not thought to myself about breaking the law.  And I am trying to reset my brain that what I did really was not the right thing to do.  Because deep down I think there was a time... that I knew that it was illegal... but perhaps didn't think it was "that" illegal... and then it became... well, just what I would do in that situation.

And the truth is... it didn't matter what I thought.  My action was illegal.  It doesn't matter if I knew it in the past or not.  I mean... it has been almost 15 years since I took the Oregon's Drivers Test.

I have to admit... that I am glad I got pulled over.  That someone cared about my safety and the safety of others.  Someone who knew the law.  It was humbling to have my son witness the exchange, but I am glad he did.  He found out that I... on occasion... break the law.... although without willful intent... but my ignorance is almost more dangerous.  It makes me wonder what else I don't know... and I think I'll spend some time visiting the Oregon DMV website.

Because I want to be the kind of person who hears reproof... and accepts discipline... whether on the road... or in my relationships... 

Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, 
but he who hates correction is stupid. 
Proverbs 12:1

And I know... I know... if I had actually received a citation... this would have been an entirely different post.  But maybe not.  Either way... it is very comforting to me to have someone who knows more than me... sees the bigger picture... and instructs me for my own benefit.

And the truth be told... I'll be avoiding that road with the construction... don't want to give in to temptation!

6 comments:

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

Wow! Good job learning in that teachable moment! :)

a portland granny said...

I think you should copy that post and send it to that policeman! It would make his day!!

I commend you for a great attitude in an uncomfortable situation. Nothing is wasted in our lives!!

gideonmommasita said...

Oh my goodness...how many times have I done that very thing, mmm I don't think I would have accepted that reproof so easily, you are no fool my friend, a wonderful teachable heart.

Yolanda said...

This was an awesome lesson with such spiritual depths to it!!!!

Lovingly,
Yolanda

Tammy said...

Oh my dear friend..this was a wonderful lesson to me. I think you send this to that policeman. It would certianly make him smile. YOu had a great attitude. I am not sure of late if my attitude would have been that gracious.

Sherrie said...

Sheri,
I so enjoy all your posts, but this one really hit me. I agree, that there are many things out there that we often take for grantite and are "not that illegal" and for you to make this U-turn made me feel it was Gods Favor showing up in your life in a real-time situation. How often do we as Christians, (with our kids in tow) decide that short cuts are easiest? When what we need to be doing is taking the life lessons we really need more seriously...hypethetically to have safety cones, and construction signs put up everywhere to save our souls..and make us stop and search our hearts. I love this teachable moment and thank you for being honest, and transparent...