“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, April 8, 2010

My Bangs Look Good & Other Lies I Tell Myself Blog Tour

photography by Anthony
flower courtesy of Patti 

Numbers.  Formulas.  Mathematical Equations. Now, that is my passion.
Gifted from an early age with a mind for math...
I went to college and received a Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics.  
Numbers.  Not words.
Calculus.  Trigonometry.  Geometry.  That's what I'm talking about...
Not words... they are difficult for me.
Even more so when I tie my emotions and thoughts around them like a big bow.

But here I am.  Not a writer.  Not interested in writing books.  So when a friend of mine mentioned that she had just read a book which reminded her of me... of how I might write a book... I thought... hmmm... not sure whether to know if that was a compliment for the author.

So, I purchased All I Need Is Jesus & A Good Pair of Jeans  by Susanna Foth Aughtmon and stuck my nose in it. I have meant to blog about it... I really have... because so much of her words resonated with me... there was so much I wanted to share... that I didn't know where to start.

Then, I found out Susanna (aka tired supergirl) had a blog... and another book on the way... and I was hooked.  I immediately signed up to be on her blog tour for her new book My Bangs Look Good & Other Lies I Tell Myself.


You know all those questions you have about God that you wonder about but never ask anyone about them... or if you do ask you feel like you never get a straight answer?  
"If I am this disappointed in myself, how much more must God be disappointed in me?"

"You realize that if you say 'yes' to God and his plan, you can kiss your good times good-bye, right?  (Did you know that if you follow God, you will become the most boring, overly spiritual person in the universe?  None of your friends will come to your birthday party.  You will be that boring.)"


"And how exactly can God use me in the state of imperfection that I am in anyway?"


"But really, does God know me?"


"Shouldn't God want to give me a good life?  Why wouldn't he bless me and keep my kids safe and help me stay sin free?"

Susanna Foth Aughtmon answers these questions with humor, personal experiences and scripture.  She sets you up with a story from her own life... reveals her deep dark question about how she feels God should respond... tattles on "the Liar" who is the true enemy of your soul... and then shows the truth of God's character using scripture.


It truly is like sitting down and having a cup of coffee with a good friend.  A very real and authentic friend... who will tell you the truth.  Who admits to the fact that life can be hard sometimes... but God is always good.  Always for us.

I thoroughly enjoy Susanna's writing... so... in the end... it really was a compliment to me.
But I'm still not writing a book.  I'll leave that up to Susanna.
I'm sticking with the blog.

Today's book giveaway is a copy of Susanna's new book My Bangs Look Good & Other Lies I Tell Myself.  Leave a comment on this post and you are entered.  I'll pick the winner before I publish my next post.  If you don't win... you can stop by Amazon and get one here... might as well pick up her book All I Need Is Jesus & A Good Pair of Jeans while you are at it.  Sorry, giveaway is closed.


Yesterday's winner of Gift From The Sea is Comment #6 - Lisa.  Thanks to all who entered!



My Bangs Look Good & Other Lies I Tell Myself
“Available now at your favorite bookseller from Revell, 
a division of Baker Publishing Group.”

8 comments:

Go-Between said...

You hooked me with the title! How funny! Sheri, God has blessed me with your writing!
I will have to look this book up - got to finish up SLI book first before the simulcast!

gideonmommasita said...

Math? Really? Your writing is excellent, authentic, funny and challenging. I read every post, don't comment on all of them but read every one, sometimes I just can't come up with something encouraging or thoughtful to say but I always enjoy them. Keep it up.

Christina said...

That sounds like a great book. I've often asked myself some of those questions. And if any of them can be answered with a drop of humor, even better.

Lisa said...

At first I thought, I don't need to read this book. I know that God doesn't believe that stuff about me. He loves me very much, but I just may add these to my reading lists, now that I will be reading for a while!

You are such fun!

Tammy said...

I would liked having you as my math buddy...I was not good at it...words yes...You do have a way with words my dear I willhave to check out this book.

blessings and have a good weekend

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Sounds like a very interesting read. Sorry I missed the give-away, but I think I'll head over to Amazon to check this one out.

peace~elaine

Patti said...

I didn't know you were a math person!! Fun facts. :)

What a stunning picture of that flower!!! So glad you enjoyed them...they are beautiful as are YOU!

pamelitarose said...

small world! I went to school with sue foth-aughtman and read her blog and her books, so to see you were connected and on the bloggy tour is great! how are things with you and your family??? Take care! Pamela