“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Saturday, April 10, 2010

So Long, Insecurity - Week 8
A Little Housekeeping

 A Word from Our Women's Retreat

Congratulations to Tammy of Life From My Teacup.  She won the copy of My Bangs Look Good & Other Lies I Tell Myself.
Today's giveaway is the book Speaking Mom-ese:  Moments of Peace & Inspiration in the Mother Tongue by Lisa Whelchel (aka Blair from Facts of Life).  Just leave a comment.  I'll pick the winner when I publish my next post.  Sorry - giveaway now closed.

Although I did already discus my reading of So Long, Insecurity earlier in the week, I didn't "actually" give my answers for all three discussion questions.  And it just doesn't seem complete to me.  So... here they are...
~~I am currently reading So Long, Insecurity by Beth Moore and I am participating in the So Long, Insecurity Discussion Group on the Living Proof Ministries blog.  I decided to open my blog up to anyone who wanted to post their answers to the discussion group so that we can encourage one another in a somewhat smaller group.

These are my answers to the questions posed for Week Eight based on Chapters 14, 15 & 16.
Italics indicate either the question that Beth Moore posed on her blog or that the passage is found in the book So Long, Insecurity.~~

1) As you surely noticed, Chapter 14 is more of a testimony than a teaching but it concludes with a charge to deal with our female insecurities for the sake of young girls coming up behind us.  Annabeth was my big inspiration for the journey. Briefly describe someone who is worth doing what it takes to you to live abundantly and effectively in Christ. Help us picture her so that she inspires us, too. Needless to say, don’t share more than she’d want you to.
Middle school girls... including my future daughter-in-law.  My son is entering middle school next year and so I will have the opportunity to be around middle school girls at church and school.  One of these precious girls could end up being his wife.  Wouldn't I want someone to pour into the life of my darling daughter-in-law to be? 
2) I wish we could discuss all of Chapter 15 in person but this is the next best thing. Name a couple of ways pertinent to your sphere of life and influence that you could look out for your own gender in our battle with insecurities. In other words, how can you (not others but you in particular) start becoming part of the solution in your female relationships rather than default into part of the problem. No condemnation here. Goodness knows, we’ve all been both. Our challenge is to learn to be deliberate. How are you prepared to do that?
Just this week I handed a dear friend a one-way ticket to insecurity.  I asked her (due to my insecurity) why she hadn't contacted me in the last week... after seeing her expression... I said, "just kidding!" I have determined to stop "kidding" around!  (stop by this post for more details)
3) I can’t wait to see your answers to this one. Based on Chapter 16 and the challenge to look past ourselves, what is your passion? If you don’t have one presently, don’t feel pressured or unnerved. You might be too deep in toddlers or school work to think past the urgent. Those things are priority and need to be your passion right now. If, however, you long for something that makes you feel fully alive and part of something specific God is doing for the greater good, ask Him to nurture that vision in you. It will be ultimately be the key to life on the outskirts of self-absorption. Keep in mind, your passion may not be anything you’re currently engaged in. Maybe you don’t have the opportunity to participate right now. Maybe it’s just in dream-form. Or maybe it’s just a place God has tendered your heart. Try to give it a name. What is something outside of yourself that you feel passionate about?
I went through a "SHAPE" class last fall.  It covered... Spiritual gifts, Heart, Abilities, Personality, and Experiences.  I discovered that my Heart is for women.  Especially women who desire to break free from an un-abundant life.  I am passionate about mentoring them to live their lives fully for Christ so that they will pour their lives into their families, churches, communities and God-given ministries.
It's hard to believe we are almost to the end of our journey... thanks for making the trek with me.

5 comments:

Mariel said...

I would love to be entered into the giveaway! I also have been reading Beth's book and have enjoyed reading all the discussion of it on her blog. I love that you posted your answers here, too. Thank you for sharing this.

Tammy said...

It doesn't seem possible we are near the end of our journey. I am looking forward to the simulcast.

Thanks for the surprise about the drawing. I look forward to reading that book.

My sweet friend Sheri...you do have a way with women. A gift from God and I loved how you shared your passion with us. I will be praying that God opens more doors for you.

blessing my dear

Christina said...

The scripture & frame in your picture is beautiful. Where did you find that?

poison_ivy777 said...

I'm proud of you for attempting the craziness of blog partying! It IS an experience that's for sure! I'll be honest I'm WAY behind on my So Long Insecurity reading so I didn't read your answers yet because I don't want to know what's coming! It's so funny you mention the SHAPE class our church offers it and even though my husband and I are pastors they want all of us to go through it so we have an insider's view to tell people when they ask about it! So I'll be taking one the next two Sundays! I have taken several tests, classes before and am confident I know my spiritual gifts but I can always glean new wisdom! Well have a blessed time partying this week! And your book prize sounds awesome! I got to hear her speak at a women's conference - it was veyr good!

Patti said...

I can't believe you are near the end of your journey and I haven't even started!! :) I will be extired to go back and re-read these answers when I start it on my own!