“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

So Long, Insecurity - Week 9
Complete, But Not Finished

photography by Anthony

Complete, but not finished.  Here I am, again.  Finishing up another book... another study.  Makes me think about the completion of Anonymous.  Talk about life-changing.  Yes, again.

I highly recommend the book So Long, Insecurity.  I encourage you not only to read it, but to answer the discussion questions found on the LPM blog.

Whether you have read along with the rest of the Siestas or not, I want to encourage you to attend the So Long, Insecurity Simulcast on Saturday, April 24th, 9 am - 2:30 pm Pacific Time Zone.  I'll be heading to:  Brookwood Baptist Church, 3440 East Main Street, Hillsboro, OR 97123. 503-648-4547.  They are only charging $15 per person.  (Each host site determines the price of the ticket.)  I would love for you to join me... and Yes!  I am talking to YOU!  Please let me know if you are going... who knows... maybe we can carpool!

Okay, my dear sisters!  Here are the answers to the final discussion questions...

~~I am currently reading So Long, Insecurity by Beth Moore and I am participating in the So Long, Insecurity Discussion Group on the Living Proof Ministries blog.  I decided to open my blog up to anyone who wanted to post their answers to the discussion group so that we can encourage one another in a somewhat smaller group.

These are my answers to the questions posed for Week Nine based on Chapters 17 & 18.
Italics indicate either the question that Beth Moore posed on her blog or that the passage is found in the book So Long, Insecurity.~~

1. Based on Chapter 17, on a scale of 1 to 10 (one-almost none, ten-over the top), how big a part has fear played in your life?  After responding with your approximation, please share what, if anything, in the chapter resonated with you.
Are you kidding me?  Fear?!  10.  Over the top. 

What resonated with me was the "Quick Start"...basically when you feel a wave of insecurity hit... Trust God.  Realize that there is a fear behind your insecurity.  Trade it in for trust.  You don't have to trust a person... or a circumstance.  Just trust that God will take care of you... no matter what.

I also liked the quote, "As long as you're going to borrow trouble on the future, why don't you just go ahead and borrow the grace to go with it and see yourself back up on your feet defying your enemy's odds... just as you and [God] have done a dozen other times."

2. Reflect over the journey as a whole. What (again, if anything) lasting and of God will you take away from it?  
I want my God-given security to become contagious.  Viral.

I love the prayer at the end of the book... and especially how she had us personalize it.  I encourage you to personalize it today, too.

My Father in heaven,
I thank You for breath this day to give You praise.
I thank You for a life where nothing is wasted,
a life where pain turns into purpose and your providence
       assigns a personal destiny.
You will never allow anything in my path
that cannot bring You glory or me and those around me good.
No matter what this day holds,
I am clothed with strength and dignity.
I have divine strength to overcome every obstacle and all oppression
because I belong to Jesus Christ, and His Spirit lives within me.
You, Lord, are my security.
No one and nothing can take You away from me.
You will keep my foot from being caught in a trap.
I choose to turn my back on fear because You are right here with me.
I can smile over the days to come because Your plan for me is good and right.
My heart is steadfst, trusting in You, Lord.
In the end, I will look in triumph on my foes.
Because of You,
I, _____________, am secure.
In Jesus' triumphant name,
Amen.

Thank you for walking alongside me in this journey.  This chapter is complete... but the journey goes on... Looking to what God has in store for us!

3 comments:

gideonmommasita said...

I was so excited to hear a local church advertising the Beth Moore simulcast after all you've talked about...and then I realized that the small group leaders retreat is going on at the same time and I can't go...to everything there is a season.

Sarah said...

I won't be able to attend but I would love to read your notes from the simulcast, there isn't a church nearby so at least the notes will be helpful.
Enjoy
Sarah

Amy said...

Sheri, I can identify with the fear too! This was an excellent post...I think I'm going to need to add this book to my long list of "must reads"! :)