“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Friday, April 2, 2010

The third hour. The sixth hour. The ninth hour. On a cross.

photography by Anthony


It was the third hour when they crucified him.




At the sixth hour darkness came over the whole land 
until the ninth hour. 


And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, 
"Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"—which means, 
"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"


The third hour.
The sixth hour.
The ninth hour.
On a cross.

Jesus, the son of God. 
God himself.
On a cross.
 


"The Old Rugged Cross"
by George Bennard

On a hill far away, stood an old rugged Cross
The emblem of suff'ring and shame
And I love that old Cross where the dearest and best
For a world of lost sinners was slain

So I'll cherish the old rugged Cross
Till my trophies at last I lay down
I will cling to the old rugged Cross
And exchange it some day for a crown

Oh, that old rugged Cross so despised by the world
Has a wondrous attraction for me
For the dear Lamb of God, left his Glory above
To bear it to dark Calvary

So I'll cherish the old rugged Cross
Till my trophies at last I lay down
I will cling to the old rugged Cross
And exchange it some day for a crown

In the old rugged Cross, stain'd with blood so divine
A wondrous beauty I see
For the dear Lamb of God, left his Glory above
To pardon and sanctify me

So I'll cherish the old rugged Cross
Till my trophies at last I lay down
I will cling to the old rugged Cross
And exchange it some day for a crown

To the old rugged Cross, I will ever be true
Its shame and reproach gladly bear
Then He'll call me some day to my home far away
Where his glory forever I'll share

So I'll cherish the old rugged Cross
Till my trophies at last I lay down
I will cling to the old rugged Cross
And exchange it some day for a crown


5 comments:

a portland granny said...

What a glorious reminder of Who He is, what He did for us, and why we are celebrating his wonderous death and resurrection on Sunday.

I was so moved because The Old Rugged Cross was my Dad's favorite song from the time he was saved. He never failed to share the story of the cross with whomever he met, as he so adored his Savior.

Thanks for sharing this beautiful post.

Yolanda said...

You did a beautiful job with this and I love your heart that beats strongly for Our One and Only. (John 1:14)

Thankful for our RISEN LORD AND SAVIOR!

Lovingly,
Yolanda

Deborah said...

Thank you for putting the focus on where it should be this weekend. Friday came so quickly with so many things going on, it was late when I realized what the day was and what had taken place. I stopped and just focused on what Jesus had gone through...for me.

I love this song. It was the last song that my grandfather sang as I played on the piano before. The song is beautiful, but that memory is so sweet. Thank you for bringing it to mind today.

vintage girl at heart said...

We sang The Old Rugged Cross in Bible School in third grade and I remember it and the presentation like it was yesterday.... We made wooden crosses with clear cracked marbles and turned them from the wooden side to the marble side at the end of the song..and the lights through the stained glass windows shined on them..it was a special moment for the whole congregation and for us....
Sister Sheri....May you have a wonderfully Blessed Easter..your post is beautiful.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Christ's question to his Father is one I cannot shake...

A "why" and a "question mark"; I am comforted for all the times when I've asked accordingly.

Precious Jesus. Precious, sweet and amazing grace.

I am forever undone by the gift.

peace~elaine