“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Saturday, May 8, 2010

And Not Just Grace, But Truth And Grace

White Sands National Monument, New Mexico
photography by Anthony

Wilderness.  Truth. And Grace.  These are where my thoughts have been lately. 

Wilderness thinking has been stirred by the Bible Study by Priscilla Shirer, One In A Million: Journey to Your Promised Land.  Truth and Grace have been rustled up by The Prodigal God: Recovering the Heart of the Christian Faith by Timothy Keller and The Grace and Truth Paradox: Responding with Christlike Balance by Randy Alcorn.

And I have to tell you that I have been a bit undone.  Having a lot of "aha!" moments.  Desiring to share them with you (considering I had a dream about you last night... I knew it had been too long since I posted), but not being able to put my thoughts into words.  And I still don't know that I have the words, but I will share some of my thinking.

I think where I learned how to be truly gracious... how to have compassion for others... have been during my wilderness times.   I have tended to be a legalist.  I am most comfortable with things as black or white.  Dos or Don'ts.  Right or Wrong. True or false.  But when I have been in the wilderness... humbled deeply by my situation... I had to depend upon God's grace to get through.

For it is by grace you have been saved, 
through faith—and this not from yourselves, 
it is the gift of God— 
not by works, so that no one can boast.  
Ephesians 2:8-9

And I think because I had to rely upon God's grace... I had to receive His grace... I had to understand His grace in those wilderness times... that by receiving grace I can give grace.  Seems similar to forgiveness... where if we truly receive God's forgiveness, we are truly able to forgive others.

She was forgiven many, many sins, 
and so she is very, very grateful. 
If the forgiveness is minimal, 
the gratitude is minimal. 
Luke 7:47 The Message

And so for me... since I have been given such amazing grace during my wilderness times... truly amazing grace, I am desperate to share it with others during their wilderness times.  And not just grace, but truth and grace.  Grace brings comfort.  Truth brings freedom.

Praying this meets you where you are... where you have been... or perhaps where you are going.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Beautiful post my dear. Happy Mother's Day. I hope it is filled with joy and much love.

blessings

Lora said...

Another beautiful picture!

I've heard so many good things about the One In A Million study. This post echos much that the LORD has been speaking to my heart.

Blessings to you this Mother's Day.

elizabeth embracing life said...

God has always met me in my most broken moments and His grace pours in. I love HIM. Thanks for sharing.