“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

1st & 15th Scripture Memory 2010: Verse 11
What is God's will for my life? is not the right question.

 God Is Always At Work Around You
Ethiopia, photography by Anthony

Today was our discussion group for Week One of Experiencing God.   I remember this week vividly when I first took Experiencing God about 13 years ago.  For the first time seeing these words... and realizing that I would never be the same.
What Is God's Will? (Excerpt from Experiencing God)
When people seek to know and do God's will, many ask the question, What is God's will for my life?  One of my seminary professors, Gaines S. Dobbins, used to say, "If you ask the wrong question, you will get the wrong answer."  Sometimes we assume every question is legitimate.  However, when we ask the wrong question, we may find an answer but remain disoriented to God and His activity.  Always check to see whether you have asked the right question before you pursue the answer.
What is God's will for my life? is not the right question.  I think the proper question is, What is God's will? ...The focus needs to be on God, not on my life! ~Henry Blackaby
What is God's will?  What a paradigm shift for me.  Realizing that God has a plan... and it is not centered around me.  It is however... centered around Him... and His purposes.  Imagine that!

Experiencing God, has a memory verse per week, so I am going to commit both of these to memory over the next two weeks.  The verse from Unit 3 is a version of my 2010 Anchor Verse... Mark 12:30.

Unit 2:  Looking to God 

Some trust in chariots and some in horses,
       but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.  Psalm 20:7

Unit 3:  God Pursues a Love Relationship
Jesus replied: "Love the Lord your God 
with all your heart and 
with all your soul and 
with all your mind.' 
This is the first and greatest commandment."  
Matthew 22:37-38

For me... the benefits of doing a small group Bible Study over the summer are... accountability, fellowship, and having prayer support.  In past years... when I did not participate in a summer Bible Study I would find that by the end of the summer I had started to sink into a mild depression... because I had taken a summer vacation from being in The Word.  I have found that I need to be consistent in God's word throughout the year.  I have to remind myself that not everyone is like me... but I am so glad that there are some who need this as much as I do... and are joining me as I beat the summer slump!

9 comments:

Tammy said...

I am with you my friend. My summer group is beginning Esther this afternoon and I am looking forward to what God is going to say to my heart. I need His word in the summmer too.

blessings my friend

Runner Mom said...

You know, this was my first ever Bible study about 13 years ago as well! I need to pull out the workbook and reread this! Just hope that I can find it!!
Hugs!
Susan

Cindy said...

Sheri - Just a quick note to say hello. I stumbled upon your blog a few weeks ago and have been back to visit several times. Anthony's photography is stunning and your posts are wonderful. I remember you both fondly and see that you're still blessed with the gift of strong faith, something that others of us did not come by so easily but nonetheless have found His grace and blessings in our own lives as well. - Cindy Curtin (from Fusion Sys.)

Sandy said...

Thank you so much for this very encouraging and thought provoking post!, and for your comments to me.

I am searching for God's will and it was great to be reminded that I just want to be a part of whatever He has planned!

And I liked the part about Summer Bible Study, too! I am so excited about having a small group for the Ruth study by Kelly Minter that Beth Moore is doing on her blog this summer.
Thank you, again!

gideonmommasita said...

"For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:17-18

The Blackaby quote is fantastic! Love the picture too.
It's been over a year since I did a Bible study but am doing the Beth Moore Tabernacle study at church this summer.

rooney said...

1 Cor 15:10
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect.

Lora said...

Experiencing God was one of my favorite studies. I was blessed to be able to meet Henry and Marilyn Blackaby a couple years ago. I love how he points us to the *proper* questions.

UL Cards Fan said...

So blessed by meeting you Sheri, along with Jackie, and Charlotte at the SSMT Celebration. Love reading your blog. The psalm reference reminds me of a Jennifer Knapp song. Music, whether from choir, hymns, or Christian radio and CDs has always imparted "scripture" into my life.
I am doing Beth's Tabernacle study with a group this summer. Like you, I need the richness of God's Word in my life all year round. Hope we can be together again sometime. Love, Linda

Amy said...

So, so good! I kind of wrote on this topic this morning, although I did preface it with what I believe to be God's desire/role/plan for women (it would work for men too). In any case, it is always that relationship with God...living a life glorifying to God!