“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Saturday, June 19, 2010

But I will give this name to the Lord:
" You are the Lord God who is my sun."

 For the Lord God is our sun... Psalm 84:11

No kidding... the weather here is front page news.  It has been the wettest June EVER in Portland... and well, that's saying a lot... considering that this is Portland... and that we still have 10 days left in the month.

I've been grumbling.  I admit it.  The dreary weather is not my friend.  Although my friends who are getting a daily dose of sun with extra heat and humidity console me by saying that they WISH they could trade with me... they really wouldn't.  The lack of sun is not good for us.  We need that daily dose of vitamin D... compound it with my thorn of depression... and it just ain't pretty.

Trust me.  I don't sit idly by and allow the weather to control me.  I've been making sure to exercise... eat healthy (okay... healthier)... sit under my artificial sun lamp... stay in The Word... and confide in a few about how I am really doing.  I realize that I have been limiting my communications... including blogging... because my insecurity meter is way high.

I kept thinking that... I've been here before and even blogged about it.  So, I found the post... and here is an excerpt...
I decided to pray about this. Well, I started off complaining... and then just begging... for some sun... for a little warmth... maybe even a little humidity.
And I felt the Lord asking, "Sheri, can you trust me on this? Will you let me be all that you need?" Well, sure... I'll trust you, Lord. You have always been faithful to me.

The next day, I receive my daily e-mail from the national radio station, K-Love. It is always a Bible verse that is meant to encourage. June 4, 2008...

For the Lord God is our sun and our shield. He gives us grace and glory. The Lord will withhold no good thing from those who do what is right. ~ Psalm 84:11, NLT
I'm thinking... you've got to be kidding? Perhaps only this version of the Bible uses the word "SUN." So, I search and find that every version I look at uses the word SUN. Still, in disbelief... I decide to look up the verse in Hebrew. Not that I can read Hebrew, but I can research if the actual word that had been translated would have been SUN. And sure enough, it was the word SUN.

Why is this so important and dear to me? Because in God's Word, it tells me that God will supply for all my needs. Is God truly all I need? Yes, He is even the SUN to me.

I am learning to be content in all situations and I have started to thank God for the lack of SUN because it teaches me to truly depend on Him for all that I need.
As soon as I pray, you answer me;
you encourage me by giving me strength.
~ Psalm 138:3, NLT
And, again, I find myself thanking the Lord for the lack of sun... painful, but true.  Which all fits with my current study, Experiencing God.  This week we are learning about "Knowing God by Experience" and reviewing all the different names of God.  Because when God was given a name... it meant that someone had experienced Him as such.

[Hagar] gave this name to the LORD who spoke to her: 
"You are the God who sees me," for she said, 
"I have now seen the One who sees me." Genesis 16:13

So Abraham called that place The LORD Will Provide. 
And to this day it is said, 
"On the mountain of the LORD it will be provided." Genesis 22:14 

And today... it is dreary.  But I will give this name to the Lord:  " 'You are the Lord God who is my sun.'  I have experienced you as such.  Even when the bright yellow orb decides to hide behind the clouds... You are with me.  You are faithful... and I will praise You."


p.s. For more information on how to help a loved one who is struggling with depression, 
stop by this recent article by Focus on the Family. 

p.p.s. What's funny is that I really can "read" Hebrew now... 
I took a Biblical Hebrew 101 course at our church earlier this year.

12 comments:

Amy said...

Wow Sheri. This is so good. God is our sun. He is our light! He sees us in the desert! I love this.

Tammy said...

1I am so understanding of it being wet and dreary. We are experiencing the same here. We can't get around to most places because rivers have flooded and closed roads. Thanks for a beautiful post to help get past the dreariness and stop complaining.

UL Cards Fan said...

LOVE reading your blog Sheri.
One of my favorite songs is IN THE LIGHT written by Charlie Peacock and sung by DC TALK. TobyMac sang it Wed. night at Ichthus. In case you aren't familiar with it , the chorus says:
I wanna be in the light as you
are in the light
I wanna shine like the stars in
the heavens
O Lord be my light and be my
salvation
All I want is to be in the light

Praying for SUNSHINE in your life Sheri, regardless of the weather.
Love, Linda

Laura said...

If it's any help AT ALL, know that you are not alone! Your neighbors to the North are living in the same dark and dreary weather. Hopefully, God will graciously give us some sunshine soon! But until then, continue to cling to this wonderful truth that He is our sun!

Go-Between said...

Sherri, What a great post! I too feel like I am solar powered and this June gloom (on top on the miserable spring) has really gotten me down.
I think I need to add that verse to my memory spiral. Thanks for sharing.

Deborah said...

I think I like the idea of naming God as He pertains to how He works in our life. I haven't visited your blog in a while (been reading through google reader), I love the new look.

Patti said...

I have heard this verse before but never really thought of it like that. He is our sun and our shield....even when we can't see it. Just like the sun in the sky, there and shining down on us even when the clouds seem to hide it. Praying for sunshine in both of our lives, both spiritually and literally!!!

Lora said...

Amen. I love that you are focusing on the Truth of His Word Sheri. He is Your Sun!

Just recently started listening to K-Love because it was always on the radio after the teens were in the car! It is certainly a great source of encouragement.

Blessings!

gideonmommasita said...

You do a wonderful job of finding and re-posting lessons learned. I am so sorry for saying I would trade...it wasn't meant as a glib response. My husband loves the heat and humidity and thinks our 3 hour move to Northern Florida was too cold so chances of me getting to find out whether I would truly enjoy living in cold dreary weather isn't very good. I have a friend that is a transplant here and has been miserable for 8 years because she misses gray days so maybe I'm not alone in my like of a good chill.

sister sheri said...

Dear "friends who are getting a daily dose of sun with extra heat and humidity" -

I thank you for trying to console me... and remind me that the grass is not always greener on the other side. In fact your grass is probably brown and crunchy now... and mine is truly greener than yours.

Please know that I have been having a major pity party... and now and then I am prone to a flair of the dramatic. I should be grateful that you are a reminder that the sun truly exists at all.

Much love,
sister sheri

fallingintofavor said...

I love this post! It's so funny, I've heard the verse and thought whoever had read it was reading it wrong.

You've motivated me to start memorizing scripture. Last week you posted John 14:21 and God used that to encourage someone through me. Now I'm convicted to do something that I should have been doing for a while - my mom started the example when I was small, but I feel off along the way. Thank you!

just lisa said...

Reading through your post and your comments here...I am in florida with the heat and humidity...I wish it would cool down. lol But to be honest, I would miss the sun not coming out. So, I understand.

Love your faith in God Sheri! I have really been praying so much lately for God to help me accept things and just pray and thank him for them....and it is hard sometimes. But God is soooo good!