“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Today's Horoscope is...

 Where do you look for direction?

Some trust in chariots and some in horses,
       but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.
Psalm 20:7

 When you go to war against your enemies 
and see horses and chariots and an army greater than yours, 
do not be afraid of them, because the LORD your God
who brought you up out of Egypt, will be with you.  
Deuteronomy 20:1

Where do you get your direction... especially when you see your enemies' "horses and chariots"?  Do you trust in the name of the Lord our God... the one who has brought you out of your "Egypt"?

Within the last week I have had two discussions about horoscopes...  some think they are for fun... some think they are evil... and some look to them for guidance.  Recently a dear friend of mine who was in the midst of making a difficult decision about a relationship read this horoscope:
Your thinking may have an emotional overtone that could be preventing you from seeing the truth of a certain situation with any sort of clarity. Do your best to tame your feelings in order to let more rational thoughts penetrate to the surface. There is a great deal of stability that comes when you can honor your emotions from a detached perspective, instead of immediately taking action in blind response to how you feel. Consciously think about these issues as you engage with others.
And she asked, "So...are horoscopes from the Devil?  I will pray for discernment and possibly stay away from horoscopes for a while, but then am I being foolish for not looking at all angles?"

Here's my two cents on the subject...

We only need one angle... God's.  To be sure of God's direction we can pray, read Scripture, talk to wise/godly/discerning friends and also be aware of our current circumstances.  I do not find the location of the stars to be particularly helpful to me when I am making a decision... and it undermines what I may feel the Lord is saying to me by causing confusion.

Is it of the devil?  Well, anything that is not of God is not of God.  In the Bible I find that God made the heavens and the stars but He never encouraged us to look to them for answers.  Only Him.

I did decide to do some research and go and look at a website with horoscopes for a couple different signs... and I could probably make all of them fit my life pretty easily.  I was also surprised that they not only give you "information" but they also SEEM TO encourage you to "action"... and that is where I find it to be harmful.  Confusing me into whether I should or should not do a certain thing.

If horoscopes aligned with the word of God... well, something like... "You woke up today feeling down.  You feel like staying in bed.  It would be best for you to avoid confrontation this morning and read God's Word and pray before you do anything else."  Now... that's what I am talking about! 

So I decided to re-write my friend's horoscope... to be a little more accurate...
Your thinking MAY OR MAY NOT have an emotional overtone that COULD OR COULD NOT be preventing you from seeing the truth of a CERTAIN OR ANY situation with any sort of clarity.
A GOOD IDEA ALL THE TIME IS TO Do your best to tame your feelings in order to let more rational thoughts penetrate to the surface.
There is ALWAYS a great deal of stability that comes when you can honor your emotions from a detached perspective, instead of immediately taking action in blind response to how you feel.
IT IS WISE TO Consciously think about these issues as you engage with others.
I am not about do's and don'ts... but I feel this is pretty clear in the Bible.  Anything that brings you closer to God... I am all for that... anything that makes you question Him... I am against that.

When you enter the land the LORD your God is giving you, 
do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there.

Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. 

Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD, and because of these detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you. 

You must be blameless before the LORD your God.

 The nations you will dispossess listen to those who practice sorcery or divination. 

But as for you, the LORD your God has not permitted you to do so.
 Deuteronomy 18:9-14

 What are your thoughts on the subject?

4 comments:

Laura said...

I completely agree with you when you said that God is the one we should be looking to for our direction. I don't believe that the stars, "know the plans I have for you," but only the one who created us. Thanks for the good word. Also, I like your blog's new look!

gideonmommasita said...

Bravo, well said. Agree completely...but I am also reminded of all those times in the Bible when lots were cast and God used that to bring about his will so while I am totally against horoscopes and never read them I am confident that God is in control of even silly horoscopes. Does that make any sense? It is past my bedtime.
BTW love your new back ground colors and flying birds!

fallingintofavor said...

I agree with looking for God for our direction, only - by "praying, reading Scripture, talking to wise/godly/discerning friends."

I wouldn't look to a horoscope for direction. I know people who do - some sites have horoscopes months and years in advance. God didn't even tell me that much detail about my next day, so who is writing those horoscopes.

I'm against horoscopes because people use them to tell about their character or things to come and are led by them {some ppl}. God doesn't want us led by anything other than Him and we're supposed to look to Him for who we are. If we put faith in something other than God - we're in the wrong. And Isaiah 47:13-14 God warms against astrologers (New King James). Start at vs 10! Interesting read indeed....

Amy said...

I love what you said, "Anything that is not from God is not of God." Those words are simple, but carry much weight.

I hadn't read your blog until this afternoon. I had written something along the same lines, as far as where to go for direction.

God us the only One worth going to...for anything and everything!