“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Saturday, July 31, 2010

All The Broken Pieces


"The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, 
because the Lord has anointed me 
to preach good news to the poor. 

He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives and 
release from darkness for the prisoners..." 
Isaiah 61:1

While I was visiting family in Maryland, my precious natural-born sister, Lisa, had a birthday.  She had organized a "Mosaic Party" with a couple of friends to celebrate the day.  We went to a local paint-your-own pottery place and in the back they had a section where you could create mosaics.

I was a bit unnerved.  I needed to be creative on-the spot.  Not good for someone who thinks too much. So, I started looking at the different samples and flipping through books.  I noticed that I liked mosaic flowers and realized that I would need to draw on the wood to have a basic pattern... and I really liked the mosaics where the image would even bleed to the side.  Pick out my colors. Glue on the pieces.  Let it set a couple days.  Then grout.

I've always loved mosaics.  I have wanted to try it with some of my own broken pottery.  But I never have.  How an artist takes the broken pieces and arranges them in a way that is even more magnificent than there were originally.  Now that is true beauty.

The word "brokenhearted" translated from the Hebrew in Isaiah 61:1 comes from the verb "to break, break in pieces."  Do you ever feel like your life is in pieces?  Broken pieces.  Impossible to be put back together.  Maybe bad decisions.  Made by you.  Made by someone else.  Or poor health.  Or circumstances.

You are brokenhearted and you need someone to come along and bind the broken pieces back together.  You want it put back together the way it was.  But you realize that it will never be the same.  Even if someone tries to put it back together.   It will never be the way it used to be.

The good news is that God has sent Jesus Christ to "heal the brokenhearted" (Luke 4:18 KJV).  To bind the broken pieces.  And "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" 2 Corinthians 5:17

New.  The old has gone.  The new has come.  God takes what is old and broken and makes it new.  New, again.  Yeah, that sounds pretty good to me.  And I guess the truth be told... I am a beautiful mosaic of His making.  He has taken my broken pieces and put them back together.

 I am praying that you see He is doing the same for you.





All The Broken Pieces
by Matthew West

Did you feel, feel it break
From all the weight of your mistake?
You never knew how much it cost
Feels like your innocence is lost
So much for the perfect life
So much for the perfect day
It's like no matter how you try
Perfection's just too far away

So lift them up to me
All the broken pieces
All the broken pieces of your life
To me
All the broken pieces
All the broken pieces of your life

Did you hear what I said?
Did you read the words I wrote down in red?
I was broken once for you
And no one loves you like I do
And that's the beauty of this grace
It can put the pieces back in place
And shine reflections of forgiveness
In a million different ways

I can take even your greatest mistake
Every scar, every tear, every break
And I can turn it in to something more beautiful
Than you have ever seen
So lift them up to Me

6 comments:

Karen June Miller said...

Beautifully written post! I needed that tonight! Thanks so much for sharing!

KJ
SoCal

Yolanda said...

The word "brokenhearted" translated from the Hebrew in Isaiah 61:1 comes from the verb "to break, break in pieces." Do you ever feel like your life is in pieces? Broken pieces. Impossible to be put back together. Maybe bad decisions. Made by you. Made by someone else. Or poor health. Or circumstances.


Sister Sheri,
this spoke to me in volumes. Oh yes I know only to well the broken pieces, broekn by others, broken by myself.

Your mosaic is lovely!

Yolanda

fallingintofavor said...

Timely post! I needed that. I've just entered a time of transitioning... and I feel broken. Because God has led me to a place where I'm walking away from a dream. A dream He used to get me to the place where I am, but only for a season. It hurts. But I trust Him and I'm walking in obedience. Thank you for this!

Ms.Daisy said...

Sheri,
I really like your mosaic - I too love flowers and am always sketching them. Your husband's photography is amazing!


~Jean

Amy said...

Beautiful post, and such a powerful word picture. The process of breaking is painful, but the beauty created out of that pain is extraordinary.

Deborah said...

Matthew West came into the restaurant where my daughter works and she sent me a text picture of his signature on his credit card!