“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Sunday, August 15, 2010

1st & 15th Scripture Memory 2010: Verse 16
Passing The Torch

Christopher and Jackson
Young Champions 2010
photograph courtesy of Tiffany Diggs

Our church family sponsors Young Champions, a track and field camp, every summer.   The camp is held at a local high school and is open to the public as an outreach to our community.  Children, ranging from preschool to 6th grade, have the opportunity to receive instruction for each event and compete... with each child receiving colorful ribbons... and the opportunity to learn about the saving grace of Jesus Christ.

Christopher has participated in this camp multiple times and even carried the opening torch in his younger days.   But this year Christopher decided to be a volunteer as opposed to a participant.  And he was asked to assist our young friend, Jackson, with carrying the opening torch.

My prayer is that Christopher truly will pass on the torch of volunteerism to those around him.  That he will spur those around him toward love and good deeds.

Memory Verse 16
My memory verse is taken from unit 12 of Experiencing God.

Unit 12:  Experiencing God in Your Daily Life

And let us consider how we may 
spur one another on 
toward love and good deeds. 

Let us not give up meeting together, 
as some are in the habit of doing, 
but let us encourage one another—
and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
Hebrews 10:24-25


2 comments:

Karen June Miller said...

Boy, do we need each other! I keep thinking of the song I sang in choir as a kid: "No Man is an Island." This is a super post!

KJ

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I wish more adult had the attitude of your son. I certainly could use some help right now.

You're teaching him well, friend. He is and will continue to be the great delight of your heart!

peace~elaine
PS: Would appreciate your continued prayers for my Amelia and for myself. A lot going on over here...