“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Sunday, August 8, 2010

They Are Precious In His Sight

Footprints in the Sand
Cannon Beach, Oregon

I have been praying for what most would consider the impossible.  Praying for a little boy who is lost... to be found.  And praying for a little boy who was expected to die last week... to live.

Often I am asked if I still think Kyron Horman is alive.  After two months, most would assume the worst.  I can't.  Because if I think of him as dead... then I quit praying for him.  For his safe return.  For those involved in all of this to draw closer to Jesus and to know Him as their Savior.  And I wonder what is the benefit in me thinking he is dead?  It doesn't change my day-to-day.  Although I could clean up the loose edges and take his missing poster off my blog... But honestly, if it was my child... I would want you to keep praying.

And then there is John.  He has been in the hospital dying for the last year and a half.  He is fourteen years old now.  He is in pain and... frankly tired of living.  Leukemia... well, that was just the start.  And sometimes I think it would be more kind of me to pray for him to be taken to heaven.  But I don't.  I pray for the Lord's will to be done.  And two weeks ago when I found out that he would be taken off all medications and machines because he just wasn't going to make it... well, we thought... he hasn't died yet, so why not pray for a miracle.  And we did.  Because we know God is in the miracle business. 

And I got a phone call earlier this week... the doctors think John is going to make it.  And my fickle heart thought... for how long?  And then I felt a prompting in my spirit... How long did you ask for, Sheri?

What did I pray?  Did I pray for a miracle that John would be healed... permanently?  And what would that look like?  Would that mean he would never die?  And what if he only lived another year?  Wouldn't that still be sufficient of a miracle?

And I wondered if I should make my prayers more specific.

But ultimately, I realized that God did answer my prayer.  He has done the impossible.  A boy who was destined to die... did not.  And for how long?  Well, that is in the Lord's hands.  But as long as he is alive I will keep praying.

As long as they are alive I will keep praying.


Psalm 139:2-16 The Message 

You know when I leave and when I get back; 
I'm never out of your sight.

You know everything I'm going to say
before I start the first sentence.

I look behind me and you're there,
then up ahead and you're there, too—
your reassuring presence, coming and going.

This is too much, too wonderful—
I can't take it all in!

Is there anyplace I can go to avoid your Spirit?
to be out of your sight?
If I climb to the sky, you're there!
If I go underground, you're there!
If I flew on morning's wings
to the far western horizon,
You'd find me in a minute—
you're already there waiting!

Then I said to myself, "Oh, he even sees me in the dark!
At night I'm immersed in the light!"
It's a fact: darkness isn't dark to you;
night and day, darkness and light, they're all the same to you.

Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out;
you formed me in my mother's womb.
I thank you, High God—you're breathtaking!
Body and soul, I am marvelously made!
I worship in adoration—what a creation!

You know me inside and out,
you know every bone in my body;
You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit,
how I was sculpted from nothing into something.

Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth;
all the stages of my life were spread out before you,
The days of my life all prepared
before I'd even lived one day. 

12 comments:

Kathi Woodall said...

A few years ago I prayed for healing for a woman in my Sunday School class and then was surprised when it happened. Why do we do that? I say be specific in your prayers!

sister sheri said...

Kathi - Exactly what I am thinking. Why do we pray unexpectantly? And then we wonder why our faith is small... when God has been answering our prayers and we haven't even noticed.

MissKris said...

Prayer is the most powerful power on earth. To think we have a personal link to Almighty God! I think all of us Portlanders especially feel a strong bond with Kyron's story.

Sassy Granny ... said...

Such a worthy prayer focus! I cannot imagine the travail of the parents who search & wait for word, any word.

We live large when we pray large, regardless of how He chooses to respond.

Blessings,
Kathleen

fallingintofavor said...

Amazing, that's the scripture my Pastor has been preaching on :)

Wow at your comment back to Kathi! I was going to say something else, but I forgot. We so need to pray with expectations. Most of the time prayer appears in the Word, it means "to declare". So, we're basically declaring a thing to be, even though it may not be. We're created in God's likeness and we have authority as believers to speak things into existence. It's time to stay on that mindset when we pray.

vintage girl at heart said...

Goodness this is so true!!
It is so hard to stay on track and pray for His Will to be done and not ours or the outcome we imagine.
I am just now watching breaking news on Kyron..my heart breaks every time I see his sweet face on the news. No innocent child deserves this.
What a joyful story about John!!
Miracles are all around us!

Joyce said...

It's so tragically sad. I hate this kind of thing.
Missing children...sick children. This weekend...two small children and their Grandfather were burned to death at their home. The Grandmother lived...they were friends of friends of ours. Small community.
I say we pray until we drop..for big things...for little things.
God does answer prayer.
Come see my new blog post...I have a bit of a contest happening right now. I would love for any and all IDEALS! HA!
Be blessed....Joyce

Ms.Daisy said...

I also have prayed specific prayers and was shocked when were answered! I like what MissKris said "to think we have a personal link to Almight God" - so powerful and true!


~Jean

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

sheri - you are so right. we ask GOd, but then are surprised when He does? What did we expect?

thanks for this post and I will join you in praying for those precious boys.

Deborah said...

You have spoken to my heart and to the circumstances I am going through right now. Thank you.

bp said...

It's been a while since I've visited blogs. It is always a blessing to visit here.

The pictures are beautiful, I'm glad you share them along with your heart.

Great encouragement here in this post to keep praying.

elizabeth embracing life said...

I was thinking of how we ask God, often forgetting the specifics. I sometimes wonder if I will die in 2011. When I had a brain tumor I asked God to heal me so I could bring my last child Emerson to Him. I have lead all my kids to Christ and well this last spring Emerson asked Jesus into his heart.

Stopping our prayer for the lost would mean his death. What about those whom we personally know, who are lost, do not know Christ. I have not stopped praying for David, because if I do it would mean I have stopped believing in the miracles that God is STILL in the business of. This post met me on many levels. Thanks.