“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Are You Wavering In Your Faith Today?

Beelieving God

I'm in the process of coordinating a jog-a-thon at our school.  You need a lot of help to pull off a fund raiser... help from people you know... and help from people you don't know.  I don't hesitate handing off job assignments to those people who I am acquainted with... because I have worked with them in the past.  I have confidence that they will complete the assignment.  

But I have realized a very real hesitation when I consider handing off assignments to people I am not familiar with.  They may be completely and overwhelmingly capable of the assignment... and perhaps have even coordinated a jog-a-thon in the past, but if I don't know their abilities or accomplishments... I don't blindly assume they will or can get the job done... I have to get to know them. 
Jesus asked the boy's father, "How long has he been like this?"
"From childhood," he answered. 
"It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. 
 But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us.

 "'If you can'?" said Jesus. 
"Everything is possible for him who believes.

Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, 
"I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"
Mark 9:21-24
Ever wonder how you can overcome your unbelief in someone?  You get to know them.  The more you know them and the more you learn about them... about their willingness to promise and fulfill that promise.  That they speak and then they act.  You start to build up  a confidence in them.  You start to have faith in them.  You know what they have done... what they are capable of... and you trust them.

Ever wonder how you can overcome your unbelief in God?  Get to know Him.  The more you know about Him and the more you learn about Him... about his willingness to promise and fulfill that which He has promised.  That He speaks and then He acts.  You start to build up confidence in Him.  You start to have faith in Him.  You know what He has done... what He is capable of... and you trust Him.

God is not a man, that he should lie, 
nor a son of man, that he should change his mind.
Does he speak and then not act? 
Does he promise and not fulfill?
Numbers 23:19

Are you wavering in your faith today?  I have been.  But today, as I was working on my Bible Study, Breaking Free, I have been in the Word of God.  I have been learning more about God.  I have been reading of His faithfulness and it has been reminding me of His faithfulness in my life.  How I have seen in my own life that He is faithful.

My encouragement to you today is to get to know God better... and the benefit of that knowledge will be that your belief in Him will go from struggling... to certainty. 

...because I know whom I have believed, 
and am convinced that he is able 
to guard what I have entrusted to him 
for that day.  
2 Timothy 1:12


This post was inspired by Day 1 (The Obstacle of Unbelief) of Week 3 (Removing the Obstacles) of the Bible Study, Breaking Free.  It also took me back to Day 2 (Encounters with God Require Faith) of Unit 7 (The Crisis of Belief) of my summer Bible Study, Experiencing God.

2 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I think, dear friend, this is one of your best teaching posts to date! I've never thought about this scripture in the way you've painted here... about our "getting to know God", therefore, our willingness to trust him with more of the responsibility.

Good depth. Good pondering. And one I agree with so heartily. This has been a difficult week of "trust" for me. Rather than defaulting to faith, I've defaulted to fear & hopelessness. I've had some rallying moments along the way, and today I'm on the upswing. But when I've been down, I've been down, and I wish the climb upward would have come more swiftly for me.

Very good teaching, friend! Thanks for ministering to my heart this day.

peace~elaine

Julie Musil said...

What an excellent post! At this moment, I am not wavering in my faith. There are times when this happens, but the road straightens out and I get on the right path again.