“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Before September 11, 2001

a photo of me taken by my sister 
from the top of the Empire State Building
November 1985

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. 
I do not give to you as the world gives. 
Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.  
John 14:27

What I remember...

Before September 11, 2001, Christopher and I used to go pick up Anthony at the airport and meet him as soon as he got off the plane .  Christopher would put his face up to the window and watch happily as the plane would pull right up to the gate.

Before September 11, 2001, I wouldn't flinch when a cashier at the supermarket would pull out a box cutter to clip my coupons. 

Before September 11, 2001, "Let's Roll!" was not the name of a book.

Before September 11, 2001, thick curtains were still pulled to separate First Class and Coach seating on planes.  And the cockpit door did not have a peep hole. 

Before September 11, 2001, I had never seen a plane crash into a building LIVE on TV.  Or watch a building implode... unintentionally.  And then another.

Before September 11, 2001, I had never ever ever seen people jump from a building... much less from a skyscraper.  Over and over and over, again.  As I would watch in horror... wondering what thoughts would make a person choose between a fiery ledge and a jump to their death.  What thoughts would cause someone to find solace in putting their fate into a fall.  

Before September 11, 2001, I thought America was invincible.  And I could rely on the government to protect me.  And that in my naive mind terrorism happened anywhere but IN the US.

Before September 11, 2001, I didn't think of September 11th as a day to be remembered.  I didn't think of it as a day to pray for those who lost a father or mother or son or daughter or husband or wife... their death caused by a major atrocity.

Before September 11, 2001, I didn't think that nine years later I would be sitting with my 11-year old son watching 9/11 documentaries and discussing why a person would choose to fly a suicide mission... killing themselves and innocent people.

What do you remember before September 11, 2001?

1 comment:

Kathi Woodall said...

Before 9/11/01, my heart didn't skip a beat when I see "Breaking News" email in my inbox. Now I wonder what's happened whenever I see one. Thanking God it's never been that severe but knowing someday it will be again.