“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Friday, October 29, 2010

...and it looks like I can safely turn the radio and heat back on.


Fall.  It's here.  Rain.  Darker days.  But beauty all around as the colors change and leaves are still on the trees.

I've missed being here.  At The Leaking Window... and visiting your blogs.  But you know what it is like when the gas tank is way past empty and you start turning everything off in the car and try to become as aerodynamic as possible?  You turn off the radio and the heat (or a/c) and hold your breath hoping you'll make it to the gas station barely making it on fumes?  That's been me the past couple of days.  I've had to cut back on a lot of things that in and of themselves would not drain me at all, but combined together... well, I wasn't sure if I was going to make it to the station or not.  But I did.  And here I am.  In the process of being refueled.

Actually, it was accidental.  My husband was expecting a package and it needed to be signed for  delivery.  He had meetings.  Was I busy?  Yes, I was.  But he needed this package today, and so I canceled my plans and waited.  And although I missed out on some fun, I have been relaxing a bit today... and feeling like I can breathe, again.  And don't have to worry quite as much as about being  aerodynamic.

Busier than I would like to be.  It was the "perfect storm" of commitments running into one another. But the jog-a-thon and 50th anniversary party (which included a trip to Maryland) have successfully passed... and successful they were!  And now it is on to those commitments I pushed to the side... which include rest... and blogging my thoughts... doing the laundry... and various other sundries.  The adrenaline kept me going, but it was exhausting.  I feel like I have forgotten birthdays and friendships and let people down... but that is still the exhaustion talking.  Deep breath.  No condemnation.  New day.  New mercies.

Well, I certainly do have a lot to recount from the past week, but that will wait for another post.  Especially the jog-a-thon.  Especially the anniversary party.  And I am very excited to show you a little project I worked on during the flights to and from Maryland, but that will wait, too.  Right now, I need to move the clothes from the washer to the dryer.  I need to take a couple more deep breaths... and it looks like I can safely turn the radio and heat back on.

6 comments:

Ms.Daisy said...

Sheri,
It was good to visit you today, I am glad you are feeling good right now. I am also enjoying the colors of Fall and the sights and smells of the season. Blessings.


~Jean

Beth E. said...

Welcome back! I understand how you've been feeling...I've been feeling the same way.

It's so funny that I would read this post today. I literally coasted into the gas station (at the bottom of our neighborhood hill) on fumes. Sooo glad we have a gas station nearby! ;-)

I'm till waiting to refuel myself, though. We've had a very busy month. This evening, hubby asked if we could just "sleep in" tomorrow morning. He NEVER asks to do that. He must be running on fumes, too!

Have a wonderful - and restful - weekend!

Laura said...

Welcome back! You...and your insights were missed!

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

Sheri - i know just where you are describing in this post! sometimes we just have to shake of all that threatens to bind and get free so we can let God speak and move.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Honestly, Sheri, this is one of my favorite posts of yours. Why? Because I so clearly resonate with everything you are saying here...

The gas tank is empty over here, yet full in way, but hard to express. I hear "rest" in your words; kind of gives me permission to take mine and not feel guilty in the least. So I'll wait this week... in silence and in need for what God is going to send my way.

I love you.

peace~elaine

gideonmommasita said...

Love your gas tank analogy. While I was at the Indianapolis Zoo w/my sister I pointed out this really neat plant in the dessert exhibit and said, my blog friend would have some wonderful way to compare this with her christian walk. Thinking of you often and glad you haven't left blogging permanently!