“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Saturday, October 30, 2010

For My Dear Sister-In-Blog


When my dear sister-in-blog, Elaine, at peace for the journey announced that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer on August 24th, I knew I wanted to make something special for her.  Knowing that she would soon be losing her hair to chemo, I thought a hat would be a good idea.  Perhaps something pink... and soft... and then I thought... I bet she would like an ILG Hat.  (For more information about the ILG Hat stop by this post.)

I e-mailed her and asked her if she would like an ILG Hat and what color?  She said she would treasure whatever was gifted, and so I went about making her one with the creamy off-white color I have used in the past.  I have two of my own.  One in the creamy color and one in pink.  (I've lost count on how many I have made in total... I think this is my 10th.)


But as I looked at the pattern of the single cable crossing over one another, it appeared to me that the pattern could easily be made into a breast cancer awareness pink ribbon.  How wonderful!  So, I retrieved the left over pink I had used for my pink hat and trimmed the hat in pink and then added the pink yarn into a "ribbon" using a crochet hook.  I am tickled PINK with the outcome.

My tradition is to pray for the recipient of the item as I am knitting it.  When I am done, I wear it around the house and pray for the recipient... and I even wear it one time out in public.  Now, that this routine is completed, it is time to wrap it up and send it on its way to its rightful owner. 

With Breast Cancer Awareness Month coming to a close, I realize that I will never think of it in the same way now that such a precious person in my life has been affected.  If you or someone you know has been diagnosed with Breast Cancer, I encourage you to stop by Elaine's blog for encouragement.  She is the epitome of braveness, authenticity and hope.

10 comments:

Kathi Woodall said...

What a wonderful idea! And a tribute to true breast cancer awareness!

Krystle said...

Those are beautiful! And I love how you pray over them, and wear them and pray over their future owners. What a great ministry!

Tammy said...

I love the beautiful hat and praying over her. Today was 3 years that my dear sister in law passed on from breast cancer. While I miss her greatly, I just love the thought she was so courageous and now she is dancing.

I have a new blog home my friend. Hope you will stop for tea.

butterfly wings
http://wingsofpurple.wordpress.com

Beth E. said...

What a beautiful hat, and what a clever idea! You are so creative and have such a loving heart. :-)

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Just now getting around to your place; husband looking over my shoulder. Both of us extremely touched by your gift and kindness. I can't tell you what this means to me today...

I've felt so alone and isolated in the past week; cancer seems to have a shelf-life with people. Hard to explain, but I think you understand.

I'm going to hop over to my blog and do a quick post about this.

Thank you, good friend, for remembering me; I love your rich, sacred heart.

peace~elaine

NanaNor's said...

Blessings to you, I just came from Elaine's blog and what joy to visit you. I have made chemo quilts for others and pray over them as well.
I plan to be back visiting often.
Hugs from one sis to another,
Noreen

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

What a beautiful hearfelt gift. You are more than a blessing, if there is such a thing.

Thank you for blessing my friend. Your heart to pray and encourage has filled my heart to overflowing.

Hugging you with my heart.

elizabeth embracing life said...

Again Sheri, So very touched how you serve others with your gifts.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Received my package yesterday, including all the extra goodies. Can't wait to get into the good "read" you sent. I can already tell it fits with my soul... and to think it written in 1955.

Ancient lessons in keeping with current seasons. Love it.

peace~elaine
PS: The hat is just to my liking and so very comfortable! My new favorite hairstyle straight from your loving hands.

gideonmommasita said...

It took my breath away when your blog loaded. So loverly!