“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, October 7, 2010

I have a reputation of being a prude.

It happens in a blink, It happens in a flash...

You may want to skip this reading this post.  I'm getting on my soap box... I'm a little emotional... and most of you will find this contentious, so here's your way out... S T O P  READING NOW!

I have a reputation of being a prude.  Although I disagree with that assessment, I will not deny that many times I may come across that way.  Actually, I like to think of myself not as a prude... but as prudent.  

Anyway, I'm not sure if I'm angry or incensed or mad or frustrated.  Why?  Because there is a current Facebook message that is circulating around that says something to the effect of:  "In order to increase awareness of October Breast Cancer Awareness month: Women will be posting to their Facebook status where they put their handbag the moment they get home... ie likes it on the couch, likes it on the kitchen counter or likes it on the dresser."  For those of you unfamiliar with Facebook, basically a status would look like this
Sheri Kaetzel likes it on the kitchen counter.
And here's the big joke... we are NOT supposed to let men know what we are talking about... as if they are imbeciles.  And in reality men aren't even concerned with what we are talking about because the innuendo is obvious... and intentional... my status has now become a sexual innuendo.  I have caused someone pause to wonder... What exactly does Sheri like on the kitchen counter?

Perhaps this wouldn't bother me quite as much but last year to "encourage Breast Cancer Awareness" this same type of message was sent around but this time it was encouraging women to write the color of the bra they were wearing as their status.  And again... hee hee, don't tell the men.  Of course, the men did find out... and that meant that my husband and the rest of the world knew the colors of the bras that young girls in my church were wearing that day.  Sad.  All in the name of "promoting" Breast Cancer Awareness... not.

Why this bothers me so much?  Because I have a history of sexual dysfunction in my generational background.  I am bound and determined to break that cycle for the generations to come.  And that includes my son.  We are raising him to be pure of heart and soul and mind... and body.  And to one day look forward to a loving marriage without sexual baggage to take along... and to find a young woman with the same heart and soul and mind... and body.

And if you have ever read Shaunti Feldhahn's For Women Only:  What You Need To Know About The Inner Lives of Men... you'll know what I am talking about... men's minds are wired a certain way... which is much different than women's minds.  We think we are being cute or funny... or supposedly promoting a good cause... but what we are really doing are leading men's minds to think on things that are not really lovely or pure or honorable...

And you know what, you can disagree with me all you like, but the thing is that I was raised thinking EVERYthing was a sexual innuendo whether it was or not... and then I started making sexual innuendos with  men... not caring the least bit whether they were married or not... just wanting their attention.  So when I made a decision to stop the sexual dysfunction in my own life... one of the things that had to change was sexual innuendos.  I had to stop thinking EVERYthing was a sexual innuendo... and I had to stop causing others to stumble, too.

Now, you may think this is my problem.  And I need to get over it.  And you are right.  But the thing is if you take a look around... this is a huge problem.  And these little innuendos may be cute for the moment... but they may assist in the downfall of someone else.

And I'm truly sorry if this makes anyone feel guilty about their status.  That is NOT my intent.  My intent is to help you have an awareness of the slippery slope that a lot of us live on... and to remember that we are in this world, but not of it.  And that there are better ways to promote October as Breast Cancer Awareness month.   Maybe with a status something like:
Sheri Kaetzel would like to remind everyone that October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  And she thanks God that there is HOPE... and a future... for those who have been diagnosed with Breast Cancer. 


Okay... I'm done now.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!

Krystle said...

Thank you for your post. I appreciate you vulerability.
I never did the whole FB thing because I thought it was dumb.
But you are exactly right...it's causing your brain to go someplace that only married people should go, WITH their spouse.
You are right on the money.

UL Cards Fan said...

Great post Sherri !
When I read yesterday that a friend "likes it on a futon" I was shocked. I had NO idea that this meant something about a purse.
Makes me want to watch some Andy Griffith reruns.!!!

Beth E. said...

PREACH IT, Sister Sheri! I love this post. You go, girl!

Beth E. said...

P.S. May I copy YOUR suggested status update? You said it so well...

Go-Between said...

I agree. I agree! I agree! Every point! I am like also that we are not prudish but prudent.

Deborah said...

My thoughts exactly!!!! The comments that people make not knowing what is going makes it even worse. I was at the point of saying something earlier today, but let the moment slid. I'm so glad you spoke up.

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

well if you are a prude, then I am too. i think that posting something like that on FB is just ridiculous - so sad that something that could be a good thing could wind up being something perverted.

so glad you posted this!

a portland granny said...

You go girl!! That is so "right on" and I cannot imagine a Christian woman participating in this stupid little game!! Sorry, I didn't know about this play on words. There is less difference between us and the world all the time. We have to guard ALL of our words....so I'm not going to tell you where I put my purse!!

beloved Mama said...

Thanks so much for your comments on my blog... I appreciate them tons! I also responded :)

Anonymous said...

I have to say in light of what you wrote here, I see this issue differently. Having said that, I wish I had taken your advice and stopped reading - not your post, but the comments. I find it hard to believe that someone would question my "status" as a Christian woman by my "status" on fb. Or maybe I'm not "judgeing" the situation correctly...

Patti said...

I think that most women that did or do participate in these silly things have the best of intentions but I completely agree with you Sheri, why let the mind of men wander there? I like to consider myself as a prude too. ;) Brett was actually looking on my FB and saw several of these and without me saying anything he said he hated seeing it!

Laura said...

I couldn't agree with you more! And know that you're not alone...there are plenty of us prudes out there, and proud of it.

elizabeth embracing life said...

I had no idea what was behind this latest string of facebook updates. All I know is I was not going to post what I didn't know and yes there are sexual thoughts that went through my mind. I just could not figure it out and am glad I did not think to long on it. Good post.

gideonmommasita said...

I agree with your post but the Anonymous comment is a strong caution...I like that too. My son's cross country tshirt had an innuendo on the back and we didn't buy it. Pervasive

Searching for God in the everyday said...

Amen! I totally agree! I think there have been times in history when "prudish" behavior was the norm. These days, unless people (like you) speak up and stand for purity, the younger generations will think it's okay. I think you are spot on. Thanks for posting this.