“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Irrational Rationalizations

Ethiopia, April 2010
photography by Anthony Kaetzel


Because of the extravagance of those revelations, 
and so I wouldn't get a big head, 
I was given the gift of a handicap 
to keep me in constant touch with my limitations. 
Satan's angel did his best to get me down; 
what he in fact did was push me to my knees.
No danger then of walking around high and mighty!

At first I didn't think of it as a gift,
and begged God to remove it.
Three times I did that, and then he told me,

My grace is enough;
it's all you need.
My strength comes into its own in your weakness.

Once I heard that, I was glad to let it happen.
I quit focusing on the handicap and began appreciating the gift.
It was a case of Christ's strength moving in on my weakness.
Now I take limitations in stride, and with good cheer,
these limitations that cut me down to size—
abuse, accidents, opposition, bad breaks.
I just let Christ take over!

And so the weaker I get,
the stronger I become.


2 Corinthians 12:7-10 MSG

Salty tears have been my companion today.  I am weak.  Perhaps hormones or weather or missing my man.  I see a slippery slope in front of me.  And instead of running from it, I am writing about it.  Because I am allowing God's power to be made perfect in my weakness. (2 Corinthians 12:9 NIV)

I won't stay here long... because I know better than to hang out by my slippery slope of depression... but I wanted to share something with you that surprised me this morning.  I know that I know that I know that I should not isolate myself when I feel this way.  I should call one of my precious sisters and have them come alongside me in prayer.  But I have totally rationalized why I should NOT call each one of them!  Perhaps this one is still waking up... or that one is at work... or that one has enough on her plate... or that one won't understand... or that one will try to fix me... or that one is in her own pit of depression... or that one has family in town...   SERIOUSLY!!!!?

Seriously.  It amazed me to see how I rationalized myself into isolation.  And I have a feeling that some of you who share this blessed thorn with me do exactly the same thing.  And I wanted to write while I was still deceptive in my thinking so that you could hear me clearly because this type of behavior resonates with you.

So speak encouraging words to one another.
Build up hope so you'll all be together in this,
no one left out,
no one left behind.
I know you're already doing this;
just keep on doing it.

1 Thessalonians 5:11 MSG

My words to you today... don't isolate.  Reach out of yourself.  Let someone speak encouraging words to you.  Build up hope in you.  We are not meant to do this alone.

And now I am off to heed my own advice.  Thank you for your prayers.  Thank you, Lord, for your strength moving in on my weakness... and for reminding me that we're all in this together.

7 comments:

wingsofpurple said...

My sweet friend,
I am praying for you. I pray God blessed you with a dear friend to lift your heart.

hugs
Tammy

Patti said...

Praying for you friend. I am all to familiar with thorns. :) Love you!!

DeLano J Sheffield I said...

Praise God that in all His Grace heallows us the priviledge and steadfast encouragement of knowing He is really Emmanuel, God with Us. He has not left us alone.

gideonmommasita said...

have been feeling inadequate in my comment giving but wanted to let you know I have been reading...wish my sister would read your blog, her thorn is different and the same, which is of course why you posted it, thank you.

a portland granny said...

Sherry, this had my name on it. I will not go into detail, but today marks the sixth Sunday I have not been to church..and have only been out of the house 3 or 4 days during that time. Last night I was at the end of my rope and today your words, along with the Scriptures you chose, have given me food for thought. Thank you for listening to the Spirit's prompting

elizabeth embracing life said...

Sometimes my rationalizations, turned isolations, turned realizations, turns appreciations, turns back to Him.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Such a good word, friend. I'm usually pretty good about heeding your wise counsel here... about choosing "population" over isolation, but these past couple of weeks have been hard on me. Actually, these past three months, and it's very easy for me to rationalize an inward cadence.

This weekend, I've been all a flurry with activity, knowing that a tough week is ahead of me. And I'll have to say, that the "emotional/mental" aspect of chemo is dreaded as much as the physical aspect. Both can be very damaging to a soul, and sometimes when I get so down, I don't reach out even though I know that I need to.

Thank you for this reminder. I'll remember it in the days to come.

By the way, I'm wearing your hat around the house tonight; I just like the way it looks on my head, and it's SO SOFT!!!!!!!

peace~elaine