“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Family Christmas Traditions

Merry Christmas!
photography by Anthony

An Annual Family Christmas Tradition.
I saw Santa Claus last night.  

Santa visits my mother's side of the family every Christmas Eve. Without the sounds of jingle bells ringing and a lot of "ho ho ho-ing" it wouldn't be the same.  While there is lots of giggling at the kids table during dinner, there is a hushed whispering at the adult table of who will don the red suit. 
Four out of the six children still believe in Santa.  Since the children are older and would recognize anyone who would pretend to play Santa, even the women are considered to be the jolly old man.   My cousin's girlfriend volunteered.  I'd have to admit that she was possibly our most petite Santa ever.  Instead of sitting on Santa's lap this year, we pulled up an extra chair... we didn't want to have a flattened Santa!

Santa pulls a present out of his her sack and calls each person by name.  Individually we go up and get a present from Santa and a photo opportunity.  It is a fun and most memorable moment of the evening.  I can't remember a year without a Santa Claus... except for the year we were stranded on Christmas Eve at the Chicago airport.

What's your favorite family Christmas tradition?

3 comments:

elizabeth embracing life said...

This year I was the Santa. One of my children recognized that Santa wears the same ring as my mom, eh hum, me. We were all laughing our heads off. I got a big puffy pillow to hold up the pants, and each family member sits on Santa. David even kissed Santa. It's fun. Our hearts know the true meaning of Christmas, yet we can all still laugh around that jolly old guy/gal.

Ms.Daisy said...

Sheri,
One of ourfavorite Christmas traditions is going to Christmas Eve services and then coming home to open one small gift each from under the tree! The children are excited to be able to see at least some of the gifts with more to come when Santa arrives in the morning! I wish you a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year!
Blessings my friend,
Jean

Ms.Daisy said...

Sheri,
One of ourfavorite Christmas traditions is going to Christmas Eve services and then coming home to open one small gift each from under the tree! The children are excited to be able to see at least some of the gifts with more to come when Santa arrives in the morning! I wish you a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year!
Blessings my friend,
Jean