“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

He Comes Alongside...
And Then Brings Us Alongside...

Harpers Ferry, West Virginia

I went to this seminar (Breakthrough:  Journey Out of Depression) a couple weeks ago on Christians and depression.  One of the things they recommended was to take this survey (Hamilton Survey for Emotional and Physical Wellness) on a regular basis to track how you are doing.  I scored a 14 when I took it on December 6th.  I plan to take the survey about every two weeks.  On the 6th and 20th of every month until I see that I have been able to maintain a 7 or below.  (You'll need to download the pdf file to read how to score the survey.)   One of my friends is going to take it on the 6th and 20th, too.  She scored a 31.  If you take the test, let me know your score, too.

This video on "How The Brain Works" is totally amazing and eye opening.  I know we all wish there was a test to check our serotonin levels, but this is real.  It is undeniable research.

I don't want you to worry about me.  But please pray for me... and my many beloved sisters who suffer with our blessed thorn of clinical depression.  I know I am blogging more about this lately but it is because God is fulfilling His promise to me. 

All praise to the God and Father of our Master, Jesus the Messiah!
Father of all mercy! God of all healing counsel! 

He comes alongside us when we go through hard times, 
and before you know it, 
he brings us alongside someone else who is going through hard times
so that we can be there for that person 
just as God was there for us. 
2 Corinthians 1:3-4 (MSG)

3 comments:

Kathi Woodall said...

Mmmm...I took the test and came up with a 7. Many of the things I marked a 1 on can be attributed to other things besides depression (fatigue-4 small children, weight gain-had gall bladder problems, mood swings-monthly hormones). I think a 14 is pretty good - it would be hard to be human, female and a sinner, and still consistently stay under 7.

Love and prayers Sister.

sister sheri said...

Kathi - Thank you so much for your prayers. You bring up a valid point... If you can explain why you score a 7 or 14 or 31, then you do not suffer from clinical depression. It is when these symptoms cannot be explained away due to circumstances or health or obvious stressors that you come to a point where you recognize that you're brain may not be functioning the way God intended.

Blessings!

vintage girl at heart said...

I took the test and am shocked by my score.
Guess I hold alot in.
Thanks for sharing this with us.