“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Surviving Depression at Christmas

photography by Anthony Kaetzel


Dear friend,

I know this year has been hard for you. Everyone is wishing you a MERRY Christmas or a HAPPY Holidays... and you wish that was true. That it was merry or happy.  But it is not.  You are finding no joy in Christmas this year.  Actually, you find Christmas to be stressful... anxiety-ridden... and depressing.

You are struggling to make it through Christmas.  You know friends and family mean well when they say, "it's okay... just be happy... it's Christmas." And you are trying.  Trying so hard, but you're thinking that you just want to lie back down and pull the covers over your head.

Surviving Christmas.  Sometimes... we just have to survive Christmas.  We know it is a time to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ.  And we are thankful for His birth.  But all the rushing... all the purchases... all the interactions with friends and family... all the EXPECTATIONS... all the unmet expectations... well, it is just so overwhelming.

And so here is my gift to you...
Dear Lord,
I pray You would be with my friend today. That You would give them rest and peace. I pray that You would give sensitivity to those they encounter. I pray that You would plant a seed of hope within them.
You say in Romans 8:11 ...if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.  So I pray that You would give life to my friend. Life in their heart, soul, mind and strength.
And that You would be their strength in surviving Christmas.
In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.
I love you, friend.

5 comments:

Sherrie said...

Sheri,
Thank you for that prayer. I receive it,and pray it back to you my friend. God bless you!!

vintage girl at heart said...

Oh did you send this out there just for me??? I do not like what it has become...so thanks and right back at cha!

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

oh, wow - that is beautiful and I know so many hearts will be ministered to by reading it.

thanks!

Beth E. said...

What a beautiful prayer, Sheri. You are a blessing to everyone who knows you. :-)

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

In most seasons past, Christmas has been a burden to me rather than a joy, so I understand a bit of where you're coming from with this post. But this year is different for me... this year there is much joy in my heart, and I'm not stressed about much of anything. I'm just releasing it all and doing what I can to make sure that the manger isn't missed this year.

We're doing a wonderful advent reading, Jotham's Journey, along with lighting candles every night via a 24-day advent wreath made by Caleb Voskamp (Ann Voskamp's son--she's a blogger as well). It has meant so much to me, and the story keeps us all engaged.

I pray you know a similar walk to Bethlehem this year, sister. You are such a light for me, and I adore my hat. Now that it's actually getting cold over here, I have a great occasion to wear it.

Lots of love to you & peace~elaine