“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Monday, January 17, 2011

As of Late - January 17th, 2011

 fffrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeezing!
photography by Anthony Kaetzel

Lately, my sister came out to Portland for a visit.  We trekked (drove) up to the snow on Mt. Hood.  It was like 8 degrees.  Lisa and I opted to hang out INDOORS and do some reading while Christopher and Anthony did some tubing.

Lately, I have been listening to the book So Long Insecurity by Beth Moore on audio CD.  She is the narrator and hearing her read her own writing is powerful.  This is my second time through... and it is amazing to look back to last year and see how much I have changed.  It might not be noticeable on the outside, but I am a much more secure person on the inside.  Worth the read!

Lately, I have been helping a friend with her ministry.  I enjoy being "Jonathan" to those who are called to be "David" if you know what I mean.  I am more of a support member and definitely not the visionary.

Lately, our pastor has encouraged us to read through one chapter of the Bible a day.  We are going to read through the gospels 4 times this year.  I love thinking how much more familiar I will be with the gospels by the end of this year.  I think I will choose to read it in 4 different versions.  I chose the Message version first.  Any suggestions for the next three times?

Lately, I purchased some red glass spray paint (with 40% off coupon at Michael's) after seeing this.  And LOVE IT!  Actually went back (with 50% off coupon) and bought the mirror finish, too.  Maybe I'll have to try and do a tutorial.  And I will totally be using these on clear glass bulbs for my Christmas tree.  (Or trees, as the case may be!)

Lately, I have been planning a little trip to Monterey and Carmel, California.  Just me and Anthony.  A little romantic weekend over Anthony's birthday.  (I am torn about not taking Christopher... mostly because I'll miss him.  But he'll be having the time of his life with his Nana... and will be thrilled to be able to text us using his iPod touch.)

Lately, Starbucks has my favorite coffee beans!  Casi Cielo... which means almost heaven.  YUM.

What have you been up to as of late?


PS 
For clarification... Yes, my sis is wearing her ILG hat.  She is wearing a purchased scarf that was given to her for Christmas.  Isn't it beautiful? 

And, yes, I am wearing my ILG hat hidden under my hood.  My scarf was actually a $5 score at Old Navy.  I was torn about buying it because I thought people would think I had made it...but I could never make such a scarf for just $5... and it matches perfectly... and I got the matching gloves which even have a cable on them.

11 comments:

vintage girl at heart said...

used the mirror finish on a old window and love it..hmm where is that window?? they have RED too?? woo hoo!! i gotta get my act together. that's the thing with depression..my brain cells are dormant.
love ya girly!!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

You all are darling in your bundled estate! I've been reading through the Gospels since the beginning of January. I read a lot at one time, so I'm already on Luke! Never gets old... puts my mind in a good frame of reference before heading to bed. Love the WORD!

Also, we're planning a get-away for the end of April. Hopefully things will time out with my surgery. I so need to get to the mts! Being there with my husband will be an extra bonus. We're in desperate need of a break.

peace~elaine

elizabeth embracing life said...

oooh get-a-ways in the planning. I am planning a surprise get-a-way with David over our anniversary weekend. I know what you mean about not taking the kids. Farming all of mine out. Also the dust is four weeks thick in my house, so dusting, a little cleaning here and there as my body allows. Even took a family walk as of late.

rooney said...

as of late i've been preparing for the ladies retreat on the 28th and 29th. Beth Moore's DVD series called Measureless Love will be the teaching.

as of late i've been experimenting with different vegetarian recipes when Megan, my d-i-l,comes to dinner. tonight was Cheese lasagna made with spinach and garlic lasagna noodles. yum. she loved it.

as of late i've been in awe of the power of the Word.

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

I need to plan a getaway too!!

Kathi Woodall said...

When I saw the little thumbnail pic on FB I thought you were on the left, just because of the hat!

Love the idea of reading through the gospels four times in a row. I did it twice one time, once in The Message and once in NIV. Young's Literal would be good although it can be hard like the KJV can be. Amplified is also good for providing a broader perspective.

Enjoy and may God bless your time in His Word!

Karen June Miller said...

I am realizing — now that I'm living in Idaho — that the 84 goes straight to Portland! I'll have to come and meet you at some point!

Thanks for sharing in the testimony that God has been constructing in my family's life! Wow! What a ride! I so appreciate your prayers and support of my limited blogging as we are getting settled and I still don't have my own internet! We feel the dedications of those who have stood with us!

And, you're right... Brrrrrrrrrrrrr! I see clear skies above us which is good since this is our last day of moving in. We moved with snow falling last night!

Hugs, Karen

Joyce said...

WOW, you all look sooo cold. I can't stand it!! HA! We are having a major cold front and we are going into the mid 20's this weekend. BRRRRRR!
Ya'll enjoy your time away together. Sounds like a wonderful weekend.
I began the year by reading the Minor Prophets right now. I'm nearly done.
Hang in there!

Pamela said...

I happy to read your review of Beth Moore. I was going to buy her book but now think I will buy a download for my mp3.

I loved the idea of reading through the Gospels 4 times--in 4 translations. I have an old Living Bible (not in print now) and I'll use it for one of the times. It's actually a paraphrase a father wrote for his children. I like the Message, too. I was raised on King James and find it like a familiar friend with it's poetic language. I'll be eager to see which others you choose.

wingsofpurple said...

Lately I have been learning to be healthy for God and God alone.

I have started redoing my batheroom

Finished a quilt

Reading through the new testament in a year

And breathing in all God has to show me

bp said...

Makes me feel cold to see you bundled up like that!!

I loved So Long Insecurity, I'll have to look for the audio cause I'd like to go through it again too.

Hope you are having a good week!