“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Our thoughts sown
Become the destiny we own.



"Sow a thought and you reap an action; sow an act and you reap a habit; 
sow a habit and you reap a character; sow a character and you reap a destiny."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson


Our thoughts sown
Become the destiny we own.

What are you thinking about?  
What are you meditating on?  
Is it your health, family, finances, addiction?  
What if you could change how you think about things?  
What if you could become more of who you thought the Lord might have made you to be?  
What if you could change what you think your future looks like?

January of 2009, I made two resolutions.  One was to read through the Bible in a year and the other was to start memorizing scripture.  

And although it took me about 21 months to read through the Bible, daily Bible reading has become a beloved habit for me.  I loved reading through the entire Bible because I learned things in Leviticus that applied to who Jesus is and it gave me greater insight into who He is and what He said (and still says).  

Our pastor is challenging our church to read through the gospels four times this year.  One chapter a day.  And the chapter can be e-mailed to your inbox in whatever version of the Bible you choose.  My regular Bible reading is with the NIV, so I decided to choose a different version - The Message.  Anthony and I were discussing this last night and thought it might be a good way to introduce daily Bible reading to Christopher... especially because it can be done electronically... and that definitely interests Christopher!  I can't wait to see the fruit of it!

Memorizing scripture.  It is so much easier with encouragement... and accountability.  So, I've joined up with the Living Proof Ministries blog or aka Beth Moore's blog, to memorize scripture in 2011.  Won't you join me?  I even purchased a couple extra of the Siesta Scripture Memory Team spirals to share with you!  If you want to memorize scripture with me in 2011 (and maybe join me in a trek to Houston in January of 2012?), let me know and you may receive one of the darling spirals.

My first scripture memory for 2011:
 
Perseverance must finish its work 
so that you may be mature and complete, 
not lacking anything.

James 1:4 (NIV, 1984)
 

I chose this verse because right now I am persevering.  And I need to be reminded that there is a plan and a hope and a future for me.  That perseverance is bringing about character and hope (Romans 5:3-5).  And ultimately my destiny in Christ.

And what about you?

Your thoughts sown
Become the destiny you own.


10 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I've been thinking about a great deal in recent days; mostly about my chemo ending and the days that will follow... surgery, further medications, etc. It's hard to know where it's all headed, but I have to believe that there will be nothing I encounter in 2011 that, with God, I can't handle. It's been quite a year for all of us.

I want to post about my thoughts/anchor verse for the year. Hopefully, I'll find some time today or tomorrow. I have a SS lesson to prepare, and my brain has a shelf-life of about one activity per day!

So glad you're taking good steps toward bolstering your faith. I'd love to read the Bible through in a year; never done a programmed version of that to date.

Thanks for checking in with me. May the peace and blessing of our Father rest upon you as you go.

~elaine

teri-free2bme said...

Blessings to you for 2011! Am so excited for SSMT and am praying for all sisters in Christ- Siestas- to persevere! New Year JOY to us all.

Teri

Yolanda said...

I've not been meditating on what is pure, lovely, etc...the past couple of days and it showed it well in how I handled a couple of different situations. Guess what? I realized in about 24 hours that I had to change my meditation...thank you for the encouragement.

My scripture for January 1st:

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6 NIV SSMT #1

UL Cards Fan said...

I have my spiral and my verse BUT I do want to join you in Houston in 2012. Here's to persevering.
Love, Linda

Krystle said...

I'm doing SSMT too for the first time....I'm nervous seeing as I'm having TWINS in a month but I believe God will be faithful!

You're in Portland right?! Well, since I'm in Medford... Well, I'd love fly to Houston with ya! :)

wingsofpurple said...

I am focusing on two words God laid on my heart....stillness and simplicity. I too am doing the siesta memory work...hoping to make it to Houston. I have my verse from Psalm 107:9

Happy New Year my dear friend
Tammy

gideonmommasita said...

Thank you for wonderful inspiration and encouragement with Bible reading and scripture memory. Love the quote in the beginning and the scripture and the end. Just the thing needed today

bp said...

I am going to join up this year. My hubby had a little spiral in my stocking this year and I'll use it for this.

I think that's a great idea to include Christopher in the daily readings too!

May God bless you in 2011.

poison_ivy777 said...

I will again be joining the Siesta Scripture Memory Team too!! I live just north of Houston and so was easily able to attend the last Conference and plan on doing the same this next year! My first verse was Psalm 121:1. And I was planning on trying to order a spiral this week because I just love them! But since you are giving a couple away I may wait to see what my chances are first! I'm blessed to join you in scripture this year!

migglegiggle@hotmail.com

holycamp09 said...

I'm doing the memorization again this year too. I really want to plan on the trip to Houston next year. I'm going to start saving now!

I also started reading through the Bible again this year. I'm going at my own pace. I've heard of a plan that as long as you read 3 chapters for 6 days and 5 on Sundays you can read through. So I'm doing something like that.