“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Monday, February 7, 2011

Another Experiment. Love and Fruit.


But the fruit of the Spirit is love, 
joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, 
faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. 
Against such things there is no law. 
Galatians 5:22-23

Sometimes when memorizing scripture I look for verses that contain similar thoughts or words to help me as I meditate on them.  In this instance I compared 1 Corinithians 13:4-8 (The Love Chapter) with Galatians 5:22-23 (The Fruit of the Spirit).

But the fruit of the Spirit is love...
joy - Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
peace - Love is not easily angered.
patience - Love is patient.
kindness - Love is kind.
goodness - Love does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
faithfulness - Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
gentleness - Love keeps no record of wrongs.
self-control - Love is not rude, it is not self-seeking.
Against such things there is no law. - Love never fails.


Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  Love never fails... 
1 Corinthians 13:4-8a

6 comments:

teri-free2bme said...

WOW! Great brain gum!... I'll be chewing on this comparison for a while!

I love both of these Scriptures (have been past memory verses of mine), but have never put them side by side like this. LOVE IT! THANKS!!!

Beth E. said...

That is so neat...what a great way to get scripture into our hearts!

elizabeth embracing life said...

If you must know these two passages are the ones in which my parenting has come from. To teach these things to our children at young age is priceless when we seem them lived out. I love how you compared. I am going to dig up an amazing study on the Galatians passage, someday soon, and share it with you. You will love it. blessings, elizabeth

bp said...

oh I like this!! Great comparison of these two passages.

Have a blessed day.

Kathi Woodall said...

Love this, Sheri! The depths of Scripture are immeasurable!

Shelly@Sweet Journey said...

I love to see Scripture side by side in a new light like that! Thanks for that comparison!