“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Re-Verse of James 1:2-4 NIV

 Alcatraz
photography by Anthony Kaetzel

One of the ways I meditate on scripture is to think of it in the reverse. 
For example, Psalm 23:1 NLT:    
The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need.  
Would translate into: 
The LORD is not my shepherd, I don't have what I need.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, 
whenever you face trials of many kinds, 
because you know that 
the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  
Perseverance must finish its work 
so that you may be mature and complete, 
not lacking anything.  
James 1:2-4 NIV

James 1:2-4 NIV are my first three memory verses for 2011.  They focus on perseverance.  Why I need to persevere... because I am going to face trials of many kinds and my faith will be tested.  What I gain by persevering... maturity and refinement.  How to persevere... with an attitude of joy and acceptance.  But what does the reverse of this look like? 

My antithesis of James 1:2-4 NIV:
 
Consider it pure hell, my brothers, 
whenever you face trials of many kinds, 
because you know that 
the testing of your faith develops anxiety 
Anxiety must finish its work 
so that you may be insecure and fearful
totally ineffective.

Hmmm...
hell instead of joy
anxiety instead of perseverance
insecurity instead of maturity
fear instead of refinement
totally ineffective instead of holy confidence

Yup.  I think I will go with God's way... instead of the re-verse.  And I'd love to hear your re-verse of your current memory verse.  Sometimes when we shift our perspective, God can reveal truths to us that we may have been hesitant to receive.  Sometimes if we think of our life without the presence of the Holy Spirit within us... we just might come to realize that God's way really is for our benefit.

10 comments:

Sandy said...

Very interesting and thought provoking! Thank you for sharing! I will work on my re-verse and come back.

Beth E. said...

An interesting perspective...I would never have thought to do this!

wiredfortravel said...

great idea!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Very helpful perspective... I've done this with a couple of verses in the past, when I was more inclined to look up the original language! I'll have to do it again; you're my inspiration!

peace~elaine

Joyce said...

I would SO go with God's way!!! HA! Father knows best I say...the Heavenly one that is.

elizabeth embracing life said...

Reversing a passage actually reveals the nature of our hearts. A natural infinity towards that reverse is our sin nature. Where WE take ourselves, when left to our own. I am with you. God's way is the way I strive for daily. Considering it all joy, smiling inside knowing that He gave us these truths for His glory.

teri-free2bme said...

James 1:2-4... GOOD, GOOD! Interesting "re-verse". Your comment on my blog post that you included this verse was awesome and appreciated. God's word is truly alive and active.

Hope to meet you in Houston this next time around for our SSMT Celebration (Jan 2012). Thanks for your encouraging words!

Blessings to you, sister Sheri!

bp said...

I'll have to try this.

Kathi Woodall said...

This is cool. I did a re-verse for John 3:16...For Satan so hates the world that he stole the position of the Father that whosoever believes in him should not live but have everlasting death.

Shelly@Sweet Journey said...

Whoa! I needed that today. Thanks for sharing!