“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Poison

"That girl is poison..."

A gentle answer turns away wrath
but a harsh word stirs up anger.  
Proverbs 15:1


She sat across from me.  She wore her anger.  She had been wronged by someone.  She vented her displeasure.  She was infuriated.

I waited.  I sat silent.  

Was she justified in her anger?  Yes.  Was she bitter?  Yes.

Did I have permission to speak?  I wasn't sure.

There are times that women come to me and they don't know what to do with their anger.  They want help.  They share their frustration and then ask me to pray and help them to deal with their anger in a godly manner.  They give me permission to speak the truth.  To provide a gentle answer...

But there are other times.  When we vent and we don't want to hear the truth.  We don't grant others permission to speak.  We just want to dump our anger... our indignation... on to someone else.  Because maybe it makes us feel better... and we think the other person can handle our displeasure.  But we need to be aware that when we vent, we are sharing a bitter poison.  And when we don't give them permission to defuse our anger with a gentle word, we may be kindling a fire that is within them.

We need to remember that our words can be like poison.
Or they can be like an antidote. 


A gentle response defuses anger, 
but a sharp tongue kindles a temper-fire. 
Proverbs 15:1 MSG

Siesta Scripture Memory Verse #7

3 comments:

gideonmommasita said...

Agreed. Two things I have learned, to invite a response becomes part of the problem when it turns out the gentle answer you were seeking is evasive...it is better to take it to the Lord in prayer...which is also my answer when on the recieving end of shared poison.

Laura said...

Wow...such wisdom you've shared here! And beautifully written too.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I need some of your wisdom today; under attack regarding my recent post. I added a postscript last night, and while I'm not angry or bitter, I'm wounded by it all. I knew I risked something when speak the truth; my conscience is clear and my intentions pure, but I feel burdened.

Why do I do this to myself?

peace~elaine