“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Bring Joy To Your Servant

Ethiopia, November 2010

I had a friend call me the other day. She was reading Psalm 86 and thought of me. She read me the Psalm over the phone. And then we spoke about how we have times in our lives when we feel despondent... and then we spoke about what it is that sustains us during those times.

I love how David, the Psalmist, goes back and forth between who he is and who God is and what God can do.  Sometimes that is what sustains us.  When we realize who we are and who God is.  Sometimes that is exactly what sustains us.

Praying that you find comfort in the thought that the giver of life is also the sustainer of your life.


Hear, O LORD, and answer me, 
  for I am poor and needy.
Guard my life, 
  for I am devoted to you.
You are my God;  
  save your servant who trusts in you.
Have mercy on me, O Lord, 
  for I call to you all day long.
Bring joy to your servant,  
  for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.

You are forgiving and good, O Lord, 
abounding in love to all who call to you.
  Hear my prayer, O LORD; 
  listen to my cry for mercy.
  In the day of my trouble I will call to you,  
for you will answer me.

Among the gods there is none like you, O Lord; 
no deeds can compare with yours.
All the nations you have made will come and worship before you, O Lord;
they will bring glory to your name.
For you are great and do marvelous deeds; 
you alone are God.

Teach me your way, O LORD,  
  and I will walk in your truth;
give me an undivided heart, 
  that I may fear your name.
  I will praise you, O Lord my God, with all my heart; 
  I will glorify your name forever.
For great is your love toward me; 
you have delivered me from the depths of the grave.

  The arrogant are attacking me, O God; 
  a band of ruthless men seeks my life—
  men without regard for you.
But you, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, 
slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness.
  Turn to me and have mercy on me; 
  grant your strength to your servant
  and save the son of your maidservant.
  Give me a sign of your goodness, that my enemies may see it and be put to shame, 
for you, O LORD, have helped me and comforted me. 

Psalm 86 NIV

3 comments:

Kathi Woodall said...

I taught a series on some of the Psalms earlier this year, although not this one. I was in awe of the layers of meaning you can find when you start seeing the poetic tools the writers used, like the one you picked up on here. What a blessing you are, Sheri!

elizabeth embracing life said...

Thanks for the reminder of His Word is for all of us. Loved how you wrote about this.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I've had moments of despondency today, tempered by truth. As I look upon those seeds, I'm reminded of the faithfulness of God to feed me, grow me, enliven me, sustain me... even in times of seeming famine.

You have a good heart, Sheri. I'm so blessed to have you in my life.

peace~elaine