“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Not Just In Word, But In Deed

Ethiopia, November 2011

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, 
baptizing them in the name of the Father 
and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit... 

Matthew 28:19 NIV

I have chosen what is commonly called "The Great Commission" for my current memory verse.  (Matthew 28:16-20.)  Probably because it has been a theme that Priscilla Shirer has asked us to camp on in the Bible Study she wrote on Jonah.  
 
God told Jonah to “Go to the great city of Nineveh and preach against it, because its wickedness has come up before me.” Jonah 1:2
 
And then again “Go to the great city of Nineveh and proclaim to it the message I give you.” Jonah 3:2
 
And Jesus tells His disciples before His ascent into heaven to "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you." Matthew 28:19-20
 
And I am wondering what that looks like for me... 
going
making
baptizing
teaching
When we read Jesus' words we may think we know what He means.  Or we may choose to glance past them.  Or they might stir up a sense of guilt.  Or perhaps we are challenged by them.  Or moved by them.

I wonder... when I give money to missions or encourage Anthony to go to Africa (while I hold down the fort here) or when I teach those around me here in Portland (or in blogland) about Jesus... am I fulfilling The Great Commission?  And so, I choose this memory verse, so that I will focus and meditate on these final words of Jesus to His disciples.  Knowing that I want to be His disciple.  Not just in word, but in deed.
 
 
Siesta Scripture Memory Verse #10

2 comments:

gideonmommasita said...

yesterday that was mulling around in my head as I thought about what it looks like to "live to know him"

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I think it's a perfect verse for all of our lives. It's sometimes hard to identify our mission fields, but my definition has grown in recent days.

It's become simpler. Just whatever my hands find to do; just whomever crosses my path. I've gotta believe that God can take something so small and call it great!

peace~elaine