“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Monday, May 23, 2011

The Truth



 It happens a couple times a year...
when I have to remind you of the truth about me.
Because I am busy today... 
preparing for my Jonah Bible Study gals to visit tomorrow...
and then starting the Ruth Bible Study in my home in two weeks...
I have been thinking a lot about this favorite post...

I think it is time you knew the truth about me.


Disclaimer: This post is not for the faint of heart. If you intend to keep me on a pedestal, please read no further!

I don't make my bed everyday. Okay, I maybe make my bed once a week. Well, the truth is that it might not really officially be called "making" my bed... It is more like straightening the covers.

I don't do the dishes every day. I like to let them pile up and then put them into the dishwasher at one time because I have a whole logical schematic as to which items go where.

I have piles of clutter around my house at this very moment. When-am-I-going-to-read-these-books pile. Where-do-I-file-these-papers pile. Need-to-put-this-stuff-in-the-car pile.

But if I knew you were coming over... I would most likely do the dishes. I would definitely throw all my piles of clutter into a laundry basket and shove it in the laundry room. And I might... just might... on a good day... straighten my bed, but most likely... well, the plain truth is... I would just shut the bedroom door.

I had some darling ladies over my home a couple months back. After having visited my home, one of my precious ladies told me that she saw my piles! She actually went looking for them. It relieved her to know that I had piles. Because she has her own piles, and she wondered what other people did with their piles.

Now, mind you, I don't always have piles. I'm pretty organized by most standards. Most of the time I have piles because I want to make sure everything ends up where I can find it at a later date.

I don't hide my piles because I want to impress you. I hide them because I don't want to be distracted by them while you are here. I don't want you to be distracted by them either. It's not that I'm trying to be someone that I'm not... It's just that when you are in my home... I want it to be a haven to you.

I guess I do this in other areas of my life. I may not always greet you with my piles in tow... I may appear to have things together... but I do this because... I want to be a haven to you... whether in my home or in my heart.

I want you to feel free to come over and peek in the laundry room and see my piles. I encourage you to do so. You can even take a peek into the sink... if you must. But in all honesty, when you peek into my bedroom... you'll find the bed unmade... because... well, isn't that what matching bed sheets were made for?

7 comments:

Kathi Woodall said...

Love this, Sheri, even the second time around. I love that you hide the piles, whether literal or mental, not because you're trying to be someone you're not but because you want to be a haven for the other person. I so get that.

Cynthia said...

I don't like people peeking in my piles, I am just not there yet. I like to invite the ones I really trust to take a look. I also don't like to put people on a pedestal, I have been put on one before and the fall made quite a bruise. So I will just take you as you as I have found you to be, a warm, engaging women,full of God's Love and Compassion. Someone who seems addicted to growing in Grace and that is someone everyone want to be around. Thank you for sharing yourself, it is a gift to the rest of us. xoxo

Beth E. said...

I have baskets with lids...that way, when I make my own little piles of things, I can scoop them up and put them in the baskets until I'm able to put the items where they belong! ;-)

elizabeth embracing life said...

You are welcome to open the door under my staircase any time. That is where I swoop up my piles and plop everything. I love snooping at others piles. Really.

Laura said...

This is wonderful! Two of my sisters visited my son and daughter-in-law for the first time a while back. When they left, my sister, Lisa, asked my sister, Martha, "Don't they get mail?" Martha looked at her puzzled until Lisa said, "Where are the piles? We come from a long line of 'pilers'" So true!!

Hart Leap Isaiah 35:6 said...

wow
I am still learning to even make
piles instead of having things scattered about
When I put things away, well out of site out of mind, and then I forget what I need to work on or study or etc. I love to organize other people's things but find it a challenge to organize my own

I do know retired ladies who have all things together at all times...I am still trying to be one of those but ......your post did encourage me

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Girl, I don't just have piles. I have mountains. And you're right... they are distracting. They especially nag me in this season because all kids are back under one roof and their "piles" add to the mess.

I can't believe someone went looking for your piles:)

peace~elaine