“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Because The Almighty Has Made My Life Very Bitter

Canola Fields near Banks, Oregon

I've been working on Day 1 of Week 2 of the Ruth Bible Study this morning.  And I was so moved by the raw honesty of the Bible verses that I read, that I thought to share them with you.  Oftentimes, we think when we approach God that we aren't allowed to be honest with Him.  That we should pretend like everything is okay... and we don't have any questions of Him... and that we aren't bitter for the lot that has been dealt to us.  But we find in the Bible numerous examples of when those who loved God deeply, questioned God's love for them.  Felt crushed by Him.  Abandoned by Him.  And they told Him about it.  

Why don't we tell God how we really feel?  We will tell those around us.  But not God.  For some reason, we don't feel like we can talk to God about how we are really feeling.  But I have found that when I come to Him with my raw emotions and all, that I have opened my heart to allowing Him to comfort me.  To speak to me.  To get down to what are the desires of my heart.

So as you read these verses today... think about what you would truly want to say to God.  Do you feel like He has forsaken you?  Crushed you?  Left you to fend for yourself?  These are real feelings.  Share them with the Father today.  And then ask Him to help you work through the questions and feelings you have.  He is faithful. (2 Timothy 2:13)  


Ruth 1:20-21
20 “Don’t call me Naomi,” she told them. “Call me Mara, because the Almighty has made my life very bitter. 21 I went away full, but the LORD has brought me back empty. Why call me Naomi? The LORD has afflicted me; the Almighty has brought misfortune upon me.”


Job 9:16-19
16 Even if I summoned him and he responded,
   I do not believe he would give me a hearing.
17 He would crush me with a storm
   and multiply my wounds for no reason.
18 He would not let me regain my breath
   but would overwhelm me with misery.
19 If it is a matter of strength, he is mighty!
   And if it is a matter of justice, who will summon him?


Job 10:8-9
8 Your hands shaped me and made me.
   Will you now turn and destroy me?
9 Remember that you molded me like clay.
   Will you now turn me to dust again?


Job 19:8-10
8 He has blocked my way so I cannot pass;
   he has shrouded my paths in darkness.
9 He has stripped me of my honor
   and removed the crown from my head.
10 He tears me down on every side till I am gone;
   he uproots my hope like a tree.


Psalm 22:1-2
1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
   Why are you so far from saving me,
   so far from the words of my groaning?
2 O my God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer,
   by night, and am not silent.


Psalm 88:6-8
6 You have put me in the lowest pit,
   in the darkest depths.
7 Your wrath lies heavily upon me;
   you have overwhelmed me with all your waves.
8 You have taken from me my closest friends
   and have made me repulsive to them.
   I am confined and cannot escape.


1 Samuel 1:10-11
10 In bitterness of soul Hannah wept much and prayed to the LORD. 11 And she made a vow, saying, “O LORD Almighty, if you will only look upon your servant’s misery and remember me, and not forget your servant but give her a son, then I will give him to the LORD for all the days of his life, and no razor will ever be used on his head.”


1 Samuel 1:15-16
15 “Not so, my lord,” Hannah replied, “I am a woman who is deeply troubled. I have not been drinking wine or beer; I was pouring out my soul to the LORD. 16 Do not take your servant for a wicked woman; I have been praying here out of my great anguish and grief.”


"I believe many Christian women are not nearly this honest with God or themselves.  We feel forsaken by God or deep down we are angry or bitter with Him, but we never let ourselves stop long enough to address our feelings with Him.
Perhaps we're afraid of what we'll experience when we get there.  Maybe we're fearful that we won't hear anything from God, that He'll require something of us we don't want to give, or that we'll learn something about ourselves we don't want to know.  Perhaps it's too much work. "     ~ Kelly Minter, Ruth Bible Study (page 41)

Let me know how I can be praying for you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a post in keeping with my heart today; while out walking in the sweltering heat this afternoon, I had to simply cry out to God some of these very words. I have nowhere else to go with them; no one else to turn to. Only God can deliver me from the pit I'm in. It is strong comfort to know that I'm in good, albeit desperate company.

peace~elaine

Laura said...

Sometimes I find it too painful to be that real with God, because when I am, I have to admit that I may have doubts. I desire a faith without doubt, but when I am completely honest with myself, I know that I have not reached that place yet. Maybe I never will, this side of Heaven. But the blessing comes from the fact that my doubts cannot change who God is or what He has promised. Praise Him, He is faithful!

elizabeth embracing life said...

This was interesting for me to read. Recently, very deep and heavy discussions over parenting issues. I allow my children to express themselves to God. I think they need to let it out and know that they can. I was challenged that this is not honorable to Him, that we should not do this, yet over and over again the cries of David, Job, Naomi..Elizabth Traub...He is truly there for us no matter where our hearts may be. Always.

gideonmommasita said...

When the context of biblical forsakenness is lumped togeather as you did it is obvious we as individuals are not alone in those feelings and it is clear who are response should be directed to. Thank you for that reminder!

Hart Leap Isaiah 35:6 said...

Oh Sheri, Sheri, Sheri,
So we do all the sharing at the study and you listen
and here I find what has been
revealed to your heart.
Thank you for your part and for what you shared!!!!!
Mary