“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Year of The Wedding

 White Wedding Rose Petals
photography by Anthony Kaetzel

We arrived home yesterday from my sister's wedding.  What a day of joy!  Just a month ago we were in Santa Barbara at the wedding of our dear friends, Dalen & Melissa.  And today we received an invitation to the wedding of the daughter of another of our beloved friends.  All of these couples love each other... and even more so love the Lord.  Their union is a celebration of what the Lord has done in their lives.

I will remember 2011 as the year of the wedding.

I have to admit that going to weddings is a lot of fun.  I like them a lot!  But after the wedding... comes the marriage.  And then for some... after the marriage comes the divorce.  How does a couple get from the wedding altar to the divorce court?  How do they get from promising their forever love to hating one another more than they have hated any other person?  What happens between a husband and a wife that causes them to hurt one another to the core?  When is it that we forget that this person used to be our best friend... the one we cherished... the one deserving of our grace and forgiveness?

Anthony and I are currently going through a series at our church called Love and Respect.  It is centered on the verse found in Ephesians 5:33 NIV

“However, each one of you also 
must love his wife as he loves himself, 
and the wife must respect her husband.”

The series (and book/workbook) focuses on the premise that women want to be unconditionally loved by their husband.   And men want to be unconditionally respected by their wives.  Here's where most wives say, but he hasn't earned my respect!  We have a lot to learn about one another.

This is the third... or maybe fourth time I have been through the material.  It is life-changing... marriage-changing... relationship-changing.  And so I picked my 12th Siesta Scripture Memory Verse to remind me of all the information and application strategies that I am learning during this go around.  Why not join me?  Remember... 'til death do us part?  Might as well have fun in the meantime!


Siesta Scripture Memory Verse # 12 “However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.” Ephesians 5:33 NIV

4 comments:

elizabeth embracing life said...

How do couples end up in divorce court? With A LOT of really bad advice. My husband and I both in a second marriage both recognize the really bad advice we got in our first marriages. Icky.

Beth E. said...

Our son is getting married in a couple of weeks. He and his fiance' have been dating for 5 years. Praying for God to bless their marriage as he has blessed my marriage. :-)

gideonmommasita said...

Love and respect, two very good words....that book has been on my to read list for 5 years!

stacee said...

hello! i think i have a flash drive that contains pictures of dalen and melissa...i snooped a bit because i wanted to return to owner and saw a file for "Dalen & Melissa, May 29, 2011, Santa Barbara" and mentioning granola?? i assume favor labels? if you get this, my email is stacee07@hotmail.com. i would love to get flash drive to owner!!!