“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Friday, July 8, 2011

Patronizing Nonsense

The 4x6

Anthony had taken this photo of a stained glass window at the church of the school that Christopher attends.   We needed to print out an 8x10 copy to give to a friend.  I decided to print out a 4x6 for myself.  I was surprised when I compared the two photos.  With a slightly different crop of the photo... you wouldn't see Jesus' hands.  You wouldn't see the nail prints.

We were attending a class at our church on Wednesday night.  Called The ALPHA Course.  And the teacher shared the following quote by C.S. Lewis:

“I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing 
that people often say about Him: 

'I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, 
but I don't accept His claim to be God.'

That is the one thing we must not say. 

A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said 
would not be a great moral teacher. 

He would either be a lunatic--
on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg--
or else he would be the Devil of Hell. 

You must make your choice. 

Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: 
or else a madman 
or something worse. 

You can shut Him up for a fool, 
you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; 
or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. 

But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great moral teacher. 
He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.” 


The 8x10

And it made me wonder... how many people see Jesus without the nail prints?  And if you see Him without the nail prints that you might think of Him only as a great moral teacher.  But He is more than that.  More than just a teacher.   He is our Savior. 

For God saved us and called us to live a holy life. 
He did this, not because we deserved it, 
but because that was his plan from before the beginning of time
—to show us his grace through Christ Jesus. 

And now he has made all of this plain to us 
by the appearing of Christ Jesus, our Savior. 
He broke the power of death 
and illuminated the way to life 
and immortality through the Good News.  
2 Timothy 1:9-10 NLT

How do you see Jesus? 

3 comments:

Kathi Woodall said...

I've heard this argument many times in many different words but it's great to read CS Lewis' original words. No one says it like him. I love the poached egg part.

Laura said...

This is so beautiful. I love the pictures...so impactful!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

So very powerful, Sheri. I hate it when I hear those words about Christ being a great moral teacher. They've missed the nailprints. Either that or they'd rather pretend they're not there.

Beautiful tracing of words.

peace~elaine