“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

This Jar is Cracked

photography by Anthony Kaetzel

Yesterday our small group met.  The workbook that has just been published to be used alongside the book "So Long, Insecurity" is meant to be used over 10 weeks.  We only have 8 weeks before our next study begins.  So I decided to use my logic and count pages and chapters and felt that this past week would be the best time to combine two of the weeks.  Bad idea.  With still getting to know one another and the material, we didn't get to cover the additional work.  I guess I am always learning, right?  I will go ahead and cover some of the material we didn't get to and then hit "Week Four" of the workbook and Chapters 5 and 6 of the book this coming Tuesday.

The other snag I have hit has to do with the Leader's guide.  Unfortunately, the Leader's guide page numbers do not match with the Participant's workbook.  Not a big deal but it definitely affects the flow of getting a point across when everyone is stumbling to find out where I am at... especially if it is a good point!
We had 12 ladies gather this past week.  Two were unable to join us.  This is the largest group I have had at one of the summer Bible Studies.  I think it partly has to do with meeting at the church this summer.  It is a central location to us all.  We miss the comfy cozy of my home, but that is made up for by the delicious food that is brought each week.  So much food has been brought that it was decided we will have a sign-up for who brings food when.  Awesome problem to have, right?

Talking about food.  One of the precious ladies shared with us one of her insecurities.  And we could all relate!  She said that she had spent the time making cinnamon rolls the night before and even baked them in the morning so they would be warm for us.  But in her insecurity she told herself that they might not be good enough.  That we might think they weren't tasty.  That we might think adversely of her... and judge her!  Wow!  I have so been there and done that.  Maybe we all don't have an insecurity about our cooking but we have an insecurity about something.  And, of course, we all affirmed her and said that we would looooove to taste her cinnamon rolls!  Seriously!

Okay, so all of that to get to this... on page 16 of the workbook, Beth Moore asks us to Read 2 Corinthians 4:7.  And answer the questions:  "What words does this verse use to describe Christ living within us?  How should this transform the way we view ourselves?"  I had mentioned that I had written a post about this very verse... and how God used it to transform how I view myself.  I've posted this a couple times, but it rings so true in my heart.  This Jar Is Cracked.



This Jar is Cracked
photography by Anthony Kaetzel

We now have this light
shining in our hearts,

but we ourselves are like
fragile clay jars
containing this great treasure
.

This makes it clear that
our great power is from God,
not from ourselves.
2 Corinthians 4:7 NLT

As I ponder my current memory verse... I marvel at the thought that God's light shines within me. And also through me... considering all the chips and cracks in this particular jar of clay. How easy it is to see God's great power when the gaps and crevices allow the light to shine through...

And so I was caught off guard when I came across this verse in Jeremiah.


"This is what the Lord Almighty,
the God of Israel, says:
Take these documents,
both the sealed and unsealed
copies of the deed of purchase,
and put them in a
clay jar

so they will last a long time."
Jeremiah 32:14 NIV

The beauty of the Old Testament. The beauty of scripture interpreting scripture.

I had only ever considered Paul's inference towards the fragility of a clay jar. Not the durability of a clay jar.



Anthony took this picture when we were in Israel last year. These jars are similar in nature to the jars that housed the Dead Sea Scrolls when they were found in 1947. Jars of clay that protected ancient manuscripts for almost 2,000 years.

Although fragile in nature. They were used for preservation. Preservation of the word of God. Worthy of holding a treasure.

And that is me. And that is you.

"And what a awesome thought—
God has always put his eternal treasure
in fragile jars of clay,
and though the jars eventually break,
the treasure doesn’t,
but somehow makes the jars themselves eternal."
- Pastor Ray Noah

1 comment:

gideonmommasita said...

your re posts are always so enjoyable