“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Strength and Dignity

 
She is clothed with strength and dignity,
and she laughs without fear of the future.
Proverbs 31:25 NLT

I'm a bit behind on posting my memory verses.  My 14th verse (7/15/11) was Proverbs 31:25.  I choose it because Beth Moore dissects it in Chapter 8 of her book So Long, Insecurity.  And I want to remember what I've learned about overcoming insecurity.  Because overcoming insecurity is a process... and I want some positive triggers in my mind.  Excerpt from Chapter 8:
"...part of any woman's healing from insecurity inevitably involves reclaiming her God-given dignity... 

We have dignity precisely because God Himself gave it to us, His prized creation.  You and I, along with every other human being on the planet, possess dignity because God Himself has it and He created us in His image... 

To possess dignity is to be worthy of respect.  Worthy of high esteem.  Absorb this:  you are worthy of respect.  So am I.  No matter how foolish insecurity has tried to make us feel, we have the right to dignity because God Himself gave it to us.  If we really believed this truth, we wouldn't have to mask our insecurity with pride.  If we knew who we were and what God has conferred upon us, what everybody else thought of us would grow less and less significant... 

Our possession of dignity is not always something we feel.  It's got to be something we know..."
Remember the quote, "God doesn't make junk"?  Well, He doesn't.  We are His workmanship!  (Ephesians 2:10)


My 15th verse (8/1/11)  is 1 Peter 3:1.  I choose it because I realized that I had been focusing a lot (A LOT) on what I should be doing... and not focusing on what God had already done for me.  And I want to praise Him because of it.  He is the One worthy of honor and praise and glory.


Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ!
In his great mercy 
he has given us new birth into a living hope 
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
1 Peter 3:1 NIV


This post, Our Thoughts Sown Become The Destiny We Own, gives more info on why I am memorizing scripture.  And here are my previous 13 verses.  I need to start practicing out loud.  I'll be looking for someone to quiz me... Anybody going to Houston?

#13 “Delight yourself in the Lord
and he will give you the desires of your heart." 
Psalm 37:4 NIV

#12 “However, each one of you also must love his wife
as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.”
Ephesians 5:33 NIV

#11 "They all gave out of their wealth;
but she, out of her poverty,
put in everything--all she had to live on."
Mark 12:44 NIV

#10 "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, 
baptizing them in the name of the Father 
and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit..."
Matthew 28:19 NIV

#9 "This is the confidence we have in approaching God: 
that if we ask anything 
according to his will, 
he hears us."
1 John 5:14 


#8 "Judge not, that ye be not judged."
Matthew 7:1 KJV 


#7 "A gentle answer turns away wrath
but a harsh word stirs up anger." 
Proverbs 15:1


#6 “If it is possible, 
as far as it depends on you, 
live at peace with everyone.” 
Romans 12:18 NIV


# 5 "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." 
 1 Peter 5:7


# 4 "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God,
who gives generously to all without finding fault, 
and it will be given to him."
James 1:5 NIV 


# 3 "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, 
whenever you face trials of many kinds..." 
James 1:2 NIV


# 2 ...because you know that 
the testing of your faith 
develops perseverance.
James 1:3 NIV  


# 1 Perseverance must finish its work 
so that you may be mature and complete, 
not lacking anything.
James 1:4 NIV

4 comments:

rooney said...

oh goodness! i HOPE to be able to go to Houston... Lord and bank account willing. :-D

Karisa Marieee said...

Love these verses! I hope I can memorize them too, and really take them to heart!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

New birth... living hope! Where I'm heading, sister.

peace`elaine

Lime Green Rhinestones said...

Beautiful...in so many ways!