“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Monday, September 26, 2011

As of Late - September 26th, 2011

Grand-iose Canyon

Lately, I made biscotti using a cake mix I purchased for 50 cents.  It was on sale and I had a coupon, so I got two boxes of Betty Crocker cake mix for $1.  Frosting is ridiculously expensive (comparatively speaking), so I didn't buy any... knowing I could get a recipe on the web.  But I decided to look on Betty Crocker's website for recipes where you use the cake mix to make something other than cakes.  I found biscotti.  I didn't have all the listed ingredients, so I used the Devil's Food cake mix, flour, eggs, oil and slivered almonds which I had on hand. I skipped the chocolate dipped part, too.  They were so easy to make!  I purchased a carrot cake mix, too.  I am thinking of making a carrot cranberry biscotti.

Lately, I've still been able to enjoy my garden.  Although the lettuce grew weary... and wilted.  So for the first time all summer I actually had to buy lettuce!  I buy it at our local farmer's market. Now, I will be prepared for next year -- if we have a heat wave -- by covering the lettuce with cheesecloth.  The cucumbers finally came in and are about done.  The tomatoes are becoming ripe and I think I will be looking to make some salsa or freeze some or make sun-dried tomatoes.  Well, sun-dried without the sun... I'll use the dehydrator I got at a yard sale this summer.

Lately, Anthony and I finished facilitating our Sunday School class through the Conference Series of Love and Respect.  Although we have gone through the Love and Respect curriculum before, the conference series was amazing.  Dr. Emerson Eggerichs is quite a dynamic speaker and hearing the material from him directly just made it come to life.  I have to admit that realizing my contemptuous attitude could totally shut Anthony down opened my eyes.  And made me realize that there is more to just loving a man, but treating him with respect just as I expect to be treated with dignity.

Lately, I have been "replacing myself."  It has been a dream of mine for the past year or so, actually.  After reading the book Seven Practices of Effective Ministry by Andy Stanley and Lane Jones, I became aware of the need to "Replace Yourself.  Learn to hand off what you do."  It's like mentoring... or apprenticing.  Seeing the potential in the people around me and helping them to be successful in an area that I tend to be successful at.  I end up moving on to something else that God is calling me to... and seeing others move into their calling.  It's awesome!
"If you fail to develop a strategy to replace yourself, you will…
…force talented individuals to remain in the wings.
…cause potential leaders to exit the organization.
…stifle needed insight from valuable team members.
…hinder your ability to recruit volunteers.
…limit the growth of your programs and ministries."

“No matter who you are, how famous or powerful, one day somebody will replace you.”

“Replacing yourself means that you are willing to hand someone else a significant piece of what you do.  You are then responsible to help this person own it and succeed at it.  When he or she succeeds, make sure they are applauded and recognized for what they have done.”
Lately, our ladies' Bible Study began the DVD Series Experiencing God by Henry Blackaby.  This is my 5th time through the study. (1998, 2002, 2008, 2010 and now).  I don't say this to brag.  Quite the contrary.  I say this for two reasons.  1. The material is timeless and foundational.  2. This material encourages me in my walk with God every time I go through it.  The workbook/homework is daunting, but you get out of it what you put into it.  Learning about how to "experience" God more than just "knowing" Him.  If you are in the Portland area, it is not too late to join us at Portland Christian Center on Tuesday mornings or Wednesday nights.

So, what have you been up to... as of late?

4 comments:

Laura said...

I've never heard of...or thought about the idea of "replace me" but it makes so much sense! And since my job is changing dramatically, this is the perfect opportunity to try it out! Thanks for the info!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Love biscotti and Blackaby! Great picks, friend.

peace~elaine

Deborah said...

Lately...I've decided that Facebook and Google Reader keep me from reading blogs instead of making it easier.

I have the Experiencing God Bible and I love doing a study with a Bible the author of the study has done the study notes for.

I've been choosing joy....sometimes its hard.

I didn't know I was replacing myself when I refused to volunteer for a position just because I had always done it. It's been rather freeing to watch others step up to the plate and hit home runs.

gideonmommasita said...

I love that you are replacing yourself.
I love that you revisit bible study material and continue to be enriched, encouraged and challenged by it.
I love that you pursue a better relationship with your husband.
Lately I worked outside of the home at two different jobs from 9am to 8:30 at night,after three days of that I went to the beach with two of my kids and tried to surf...this time they stood up but I did not.