“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Friday, September 2, 2011

It Reminds Me Most

Anthony captures "Indescribable" at Yavapai Point

How lovely on the mountains are the feet of him 
who brings good news... Isaiah 52:7 NASB


You can't describe it.
No words can capture.
Its enormity.
Its length.
Its width.
Its depth.

Grand must have meant something else when the canyon was named.
Because grand is just so... just so... grand.
This is bigger than grand.  MUCH bigger.
And now that I think about it the word canyon doesn't describe it very well either.
I've been to canyons before.
And this is so... so... well, bigger than a canyon.

How is it that light can hit one part without hitting another part?
How is it that it can be clear blue sky and as you look across the abyss you see rain.
And then blue sky behind that?
Why is it so deceiving that you would think you could reach the river in one day.
But most would die trying to do that.
Humongous?  No, that is not the word.

How can the weather be so different from the rim to the river?
How can there be so many layers and colors of rock?
And patterns.
And we can look at it all day.
And we can look at it from different viewpoints.
And we can hike down.
And slowly hike back up.

And so I have come to the determination that it reminds me most of God.
Indescribable.



Scripture Posted at Hermit's Rest, Grand Canyon

Sing to God, 
sing praises to his name; 
lift up a song to him 
who rides upon the clouds; 
his name is the LORD, 
exult before him!

Psalm 68:4 RSV

I choose Psalm 68:4 for my Siesta Scripture Memory Verse # 17.  

2 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I'm thinking of Moses (while looking at this picture) and his climb up Mt. Nebo that day...

So much glorious splendor at the overlook; so much more awaiting him with the Light!

peace~elaine

Laura said...

I have never been to the Grand Canyon and I'm sure that the pictures I have seen don't even begin to do it justice! So I'm sure that "indescribable" probably describes it perfectly.