“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Hurt, Hope, Healing

Grand Canyon

"Therefore, since we have such a hope, we are very bold." 
2 Corinthians 3:12 NIV 1984


I recently finished reading Where Is God When It Hurts? by Philip Yancey.  A friend of mine was reading it for a small group.  She mentioned that it would give insight into helping others who are going through something difficult.  She was right.

The book touched me so much that I wanted to make sure I remembered its central theme.  Hope.  So, I chose 2 Corinthians 3:12 as my 20th verse for the Siesta Scripture Memory Team.  The book is a bit longer than most, but worth the investment of every word that is read.  Technical at times, but always revolving around the fact that pain is a necessary evil warning signal that something is not right.  And that we are lovingly made by God.  I marvel at the fact that there is not a pain nervous system.  Pleasure and pain use the same nerves.  And that our brains can tell the difference... well, we are marvelously made by God.

Earlier in the summer I had read A Place of Healing: Wrestling with the Mysteries of Suffering, Pain, and God's Sovereignty by Joni Eareckson Tada.  To my delight Philip Yancey used Joni Eareckson Tada as an example of how someone who deals with pain presses into God and His ultimate goodness and finds hope in trusting Him.  This particular audiobook was read by the author and was such a blessing.

I pray that if you are dealing with your own suffering and pain or a loved one's that you might find these books as a comfort and a guide.  I know I will be referring back to them.

I know this sounds like a paid endorsement... but it isn't.
It's just me.
Me being bold.
Because I have such a hope.
And I want you to have that hope, too.

I choose 2 Corinthians 3:12 NIV 1984 for my Siesta Scripture Memory Verse #20.

1 comment:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I recently learned that Joni dealt with stage 3 breast cancer. Does this particular book address that fact? I'd be interested in reading it either way. She's such an inspiration as are you, friend.

Keep hope alive in your heart.

Love you.

peace~elaine