“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Yesterday does not define you...





Yesterday at Bible Study, our table leader, Jean Balle, encouraged us to discuss our feelings about the teaching that morning from Experiencing God (Session 3).  Getting no response from the rest of us... she relented and shared first.

She had been touched by the story of a woman who had difficulty accepting love from God (or anyone for that matter) due to her fractured relationship with her father.  Not only did the woman have difficulty receiving love... she had difficulty sharing her love because she had set up so many walls to protect herself from ever being hurt, again.

Jean then shared how this affected her... and it spurred the rest of us to share about our relationships with our earthly fathers.  It wasn't pretty.  Sometimes you hear about the good, the bad and the ugly?  Well, this was the bad and the ugly.  It was NOT a time of persecuting those men who were not taught about how to be a father, but it was a time of grieving for the little girls who never felt loved or accepted or wanted by their fathers... and how that affected their ability to think of God... to love God... to receive God's love... as Abba Father.

But then... it did get good.  We discussed how we longed to know a Father's love.  How we wanted our children to know the Father's love. How we wanted to be the change that we desired.  That in this moment of painful healing, we would allow God to redeem our pain, so that we could touch the future generations.

And then this morning, as I was listening to my current favorites playlist, Matthew West's song came on.  It is the song that has ministered to me the most from his album (er, CD for you younger folks) The Story of Your Life -- "Family Tree."  I know the words by heart.  They tend to my heart.  They speak of who I am.  Not carrying on the sins of my earthly father.  Of God breaking the chains that wanted to bind me to a different legacy... of finding real love... of holding my precious son... of changing the course of generations... knowing that I am loved and chosen by my Heavenly Father.

I pray that this song and lyrics minister to your hurting soul, too.

Know that you are not alone.
Know that you do not have to leave a legacy of dysfunction.
Know that you are loved and chosen. 
Know that He will restore all that was broken.

You are loved.

And PS... Jean Balle, you are leaving quite a phenomenal legacy.

Family Tree
Artist:  Matthew West

You didn't ask for this
Nobody ever would
Caught in the middle of this dysfunction
It's your sad reality
It's your messed up family tree
And all your left with all these questions

Are you gonna be like your father was and his father was?
Do you have to carry what they've handed down?

No, this is not your legacy
This is not your destiny
Yesterday does not define you
No, this is not your legacy
This is not your meant to be
I can break the chains that bind you

I have a dream for you
It's better than where you've been
It's bigger than your imagination
You're gonna find real love
And you're gonna hold your kids
You'll change the course of generations

No, this is not your legacy
This is not your destiny
Yesterday does not define you
No, this is not your legacy
This is not your meant to be
I can break the chains that bind you

Cause you're my child
You're my chosen
You are loved
You are loved

And I will restore
All that was broken
You are loved
You are loved

And just like the seasons change
Winter into spring
You're bringing new life to your family tree now
Yes you are
You are

No, this will be your legacy
This will be your destiny
Yesterday did not define you
No, this will be your legacy
This will be your meant to be
I can break the chains that bind you

And just like the seasons change
Winter into spring
You're bringing new life to your family tree now.

3 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Father work is hard work. I often deal with the subject in my ladies' groups... about how one of the first impressions/ideas we have about our heavenly Father is given to us by our earthly fathers, whether good or bad. I've had some remarkable shaping given to me by my earthly father. That being said, there have also been moments of pain.

I think this is such a worthy "dig", albeit painful. We do such a disservice to God when we equate him to what we have seen in our earthly fathers. He's just so much bigger, better than that.

Makes me want to do my part at being a better mother and making sure that my kids have a good understanding of God, despite my frailties. I'm such a mess these days.

peace~elaine

gideonmommasita said...

love it when you share songs from your playlist. You do such a good job of tying in your thoughts and what your learning with the songs you listen to. I don't think this is a song that makes it on the radio, I will have to check it out in my free time..

elizabeth embracing life said...

It is a beautiful thing when we let go of the failings of our earthly fathers and allow the healing embrace of our Heavenly father. God redeems us to be that loving parent to our own children.