“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Made To Crave


In the desert they gave in to their craving; 
in the wilderness they put God to the test. 
Psalm 106:14 NIV

I have had friends at my church recommend Made to Crave:  Satisfying Your Deepest Desire with God, Not Food by Lysa TerKeurst.  I purchased the audio book and within a few chapters I decided that the Made to Crave DVD small group would be my Bible Study over the month of December.  

At first I thought I really couldn't call it a "Bible" Study.  Thinking it would just be about dieting.  But after reading it, with all confidence, I can call this a Bible Study.  I'd have to say the book and study somewhat remind me of So Long, Insecurity by Beth Moore.  Because it goes in depth as to why we respond in certain ways and brings us back around to who we are in Christ.  It continually points to God's word and who God is and who we are in Him.  Also, having a community to support you as you work your way through.

I am so impressed with the material in this book because it transcends eating issues.  It is useful in other areas of life.  I'll give you a current example.
My husband is in Ethiopia.  When he travels for long periods of time, I miss him greatly. ...Yet your desire and craving will be for your husband....  Genesis 3:1 AMP I disconnect emotionally and go through a bit of a withdrawl.  Since the book had been talking about looking at what I "crave" I decided to apply the material to this situation.  Looking at my craving for my husband and filling that need with God himself.    And it is amazing at the transformation.  When I start to dip into feeling sorry for myself and feeling lonely for him, I focus on the One who conquered loneliness on the cross.
Some people wonder why I do a Bible Study during the holidays.  I have come to know myself and how I need accountability to keep me in the Word of God and in daily relationship with Him.  I admit that I don't have as much time to decorate for the Christmas season, but I know that when the holidays are over I don't have as much of a let down emotionally.  It's my way of keeping Christ in Christmas.


I choose Psalm 106:14 NIV for my Siesta Scripture Memory Verse #21.

1 comment:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I read the book when it came out. Didn't realize there was a study to go with...

I like the idea of a December study; staying focused on God during the holidays is the best way to not experience the extreme let down after Christmas. I didn't even enjoy it last year. Hope this year fares better. We're about to wrap up our Alicia Chole study, so I'll need something for these next couple of months. Any suggestions?

peace~elaine