Christmas Sugar Cookies.
Looking at it one way, you could say,
"Anything goes. Because of God's immense generosity and grace,
we don't have to dissect and scrutinize
every action to see if it will pass muster."
But the point is not to just get by.
We want to live well, but our foremost efforts should be
to help others live well.
1 Corinthians 10:23-24 MSG
Most people think I am just about nuts because I am going through the study Made to Crave: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire With God, Not Food... right now. Right now. Right now when there are cookie exchanges all around me. Right now when there is lots of running around and it is easier to just grab something on the go. Right now when I am stressed for time and thinking about eating healthy just doesn't fit into the schedule. Right now. Right now... when Anthony made these amazingly delicious and totally adorable Peppermint Candy Cane Cookies. And yes, I have had one or two of these cookies. And I consider that a success because I really just want to eat them all smothered in ice cream... but I digress.
What I have been learning about by going through this study is:
- I can make healthier eating choices. I was telling the "Jesus-girls" in our group that I don't like to judge food by calling it unhealthy. But I can determine that one food is unhealthier than another.
- Perspective is EVERYTHING. How we view food makes a difference in how we eat food. If we look to food as a source of indulgence or justification or COMFORT, then we eat it that way. If we pull back and remember that food is provision for energy and nutrition and health, then we will eat it that way.
- Bring a friend. Being able to discuss my frustrations about eating healthier has helped me to apply what I am learning. Finding out that I am not the only one who struggles. And realizing that accountability truly is beneficial to success.
- It's actually not about food. After reading the book and now doing the study with a group of caring friends, I have realized that this is not about the food. It is about trusting God to help me in all areas of my life. Whether I am praying for Him to help me only eat two cookies at a cookie exchange or I am praying for Him to help me control my anger when I feel like I am being misunderstood. The fact is... I am praying more and depending upon God more. And that is my endgame.
- The Rewards. Seeing the change in the women in our group. Not just eating healthier, but becoming more and more transparent. Sharing the struggle. Encouraging one another. Doing life with one another. Because truly... "the point is not to just get by. We want to live well, but our foremost efforts should be to help others live well."
“Everything is permissible”—but not everything is beneficial.
“Everything is permissible”—but not everything is constructive.
Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.
1 Corinthians 10:23-24 NIV 1984
It is not as much about denying ourselves. It is about opening our eyes to the gifts that God has given and knowing that sometimes saying "no" to something means that we are saying "yes" to something even better.
I choose 1 Corinthians 10:23 NIV 1984 for my Siesta Scripture Memory Verse #23.
I choose 1 Corinthians 10:24 NIV 1984 for my Siesta Scripture Memory Verse #24.