“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Saturday, February 25, 2012

"You Mean I Have to Fast... to Fast?"

Hungry middle schoolers just minutes from breaking their 30 Hour fast...

He handed me a permission slip early Thursday morning.  The 30-Hour Famine was the next day.  He had been talking about it for weeks.  But he had forgot to remind me of the proximity of the date... and he had forgot to ask for donations.  He was just so excited about spending the night at his school during the famine... and didn't mind that all his nourishment would come from the juice of his choice.  And so I wondered to myself... if his heart was in the right place to participate in the famine.

The fast-breaking bounty

The 30-Hour Famine is sponsored by World Vision.  A worthy charity.  Reaching the poorest of the poor.  Feeding starving children.  Why would I even hesitate in having Christopher be a part of the evening?  And to top it off... the audio book I am currently listening to is "The Hole in Our Gospel:What Does God Expect of Us? The Answer That Changed My Life and Might Just Change the World" which is written by the current CEO of World Vision.  And am I or am I not currently doing a Bible Study on the book of James?  A book of the Bible that leaves no room for not helping those in need?

"Dear friends, do you think you'll get anywhere in this 
if you learn all the right words but never do anything? 
Does merely talking about faith indicate that a person really has it? 
For instance, you come upon an old friend dressed in rags and half-starved 
and say, "Good morning, friend! Be clothed in Christ! Be filled with the Holy Spirit!" 
and walk off without providing so much as a coat or a cup of soup
—where does that get you? 
Isn't it obvious that God-talk without God-acts is outrageous nonsense?" 
James 2:14-17 MSG

The official break-fast

But none of those reasons compelled me to change my mind.  It wasn't until the Holy Spirit reminded me of a question that Christopher asked me earlier this year, "You mean I have to fast... to fast?"  And my mind was flooded with why he had asked that question.  Anthony and I had decided to join our church as it fasted media (for 5 days) earlier this year.  Christopher was not convinced to join us, so for incentive I had said, "If you want to participate in the 30-Hour Famine later this year, I want you to prove your commitment by participating in the media fast."  And that is when he said it.  He said, "You mean I have to fast... to fast?"  And I said, "Yes."  And he sighed, but agreed to fast media with us.  And so he did.

And so I did whole-heartedly support him in his participation in the 30-Hour Famine.  Gladly driving him early in the morning (even when I didn't have carpool duty) and picking him up and then driving him back to school and then coming back on Saturday for the fast-break.  Because I was keeping my promise... whether he remembered the promise or not. 

I just took a little break from writing this post and worked on Day 3, Week 6 of Beth Moore's James Bible Study.  It was based on James 5:12.  "Above all, my brothers, do not swear—not by heaven or by earth or by anything else. Let your “Yes” be yes, and your “No,” no, or you will be condemned."

And as I worked on the study, I realized that my "Yes" was yes.  I had kept my promise to Christopher.  That my word was my bond.  That I fulfilled my vow after Christopher fulfilled his.  And had I not remembered him asking that one question... I might have missed this very moment.  The moment of realizing that I passed the test.  Perhaps small, but I passed it.  And best of all my son saw my example.  And even better than that... through all of this, we are raising money and recognition of those who are so desperately in need of our help.

So all of this wondering if his heart was in the right place... was a good challenge to see if mine was in the right place, too.

"Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do 
and doesn’t do it, sins."  James 4:17



1 comment:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

My older boys participated in this several years ago.

We're always teaching them, aren't we? In doing so, we often find ourselves the pupils.

peace~elaine