“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Withholding What I Don't Even Use

It is a Mezuzah.  I had asked Anthony to purchase it when he was in Israel so I could give it to a friend as a gift.  At the time she was a new friend to me who had at one time visited Israel and I wanted to give this to her knowing that she would understand its importance... and perhaps it would bring peace to her home.

Anthony returned home from that trip in November 2010.  And the Mezuzah is still sitting in my office.  In the box.  (It was taken out of the box for the first time so I could take this photo.)  Actually Anthony had brought home two Mezuzahs that trip and I just couldn't decide which one I wanted, so I kept them both.  Both in their boxes.  In my office.  Until I could decide which one I wanted to keep.  Here we are a year and almost 3 months later...

"...the sin of hoarding is more than just having.  It's having without using.  The wickedness accelerates in the waste.  In part, hoarding means withholding what we don't even use from others who'd treasure it." ~ Day 1 of Week 6 of the James Bible Study by Beth Moore

Beth Moore discussed this thought in more detail during the DVD Session 7... and then I reminded myself how on Day 1 of Week 4 the Shema was discussed which are the words that are written on a scroll and placed in the Mezuzah.  And I had actually placed the other Mezuzah in my bag that week to show the ladies an example.  But I never did pull it out to show it... and I wonder why I didn't bring this one to show...

Today I received an e-mail from a young friend that I mentor.  She attends Bible Study with me.  And this study has been convicting her, too.  (I received her permission to share this e-mail.)

Hi there,
 
It was hard.  I'm a bit embarrassed by how hard it was.  But I had 33 handbags.  I'm keeping 15 and donating 18 (though I'm going to let my sister-in-law go through them first, so might only be donating 15 or so).  There are 4 Coaches in there, and quite a few other higher end choices! 
I have 2 shopping bags of Ann Taylor, Casual Corner, CABI and J Crew clothes.  Three coats and a full gallon size Ziploc of high fashion jewelry.  Some nice pieces - I just have an excess - obviously.
 
Realistically, I'm keeping 15 handbags!!!  And enough jewelry, coats and clothes to be a diva.  So I'm at peace with this.  If GHM Boutique can sell this stuff to feed people - I'm not using it...so I'm okay with not having it.  Freedom...from stuff...one step at a time.
 
You can do this, too!
love you, 

I love how she encouraged me at the end!  She's right, I can do this, too!  And I am starting with this Mezuzah!  I was sitting next to the friend to whom it rightfully belongs during the DVD Session 7 and leaned over to her to let her know that I had something that belonged to her.  I know she will be thrilled to receive it... and I am thrilled to have this very personal example of how I was holding on to something without treasuring its worth and making sure it was given to someone who would.

"All of us are accustomed to the saying 'use it or lose it" 
but, the fact is, we're going to lose it all anyway.  
We're not taking one ounce of this stuff with us when we die." ~Beth Moore

What about you?  I think YOU can do this, too!  And if you already have, I would love to hear your story.

8 comments:

Tammy said...

oh that is convicting and I love her email. Very thought provoking. Thank you for making me think. I so want to do the James study soon.

Kathi Woodall said...

Hearing this message from a lot of sisters lately. God seems to be telling us all to let go of something.

JoAnn said...

Sheri - first thank you for being on Facebook and being my friend on Facebook so that I would read this post to your blog. Wow...as I read this I am crying (not terribly unusual for me when I am touched by something) but I have been really struggling with all the "stuff" in my life..."stuff" in my house..."stuff" in my closets and even the "stuff" in my head at times. I have been asking the Lord to help me clear out the "stuff" so that I can really focus on the things I need/want/desire to focus on, and truly the things I believe God wants me to focus on. I have felt the Lord asking me to really go through all the "stuff" and give away, donate, resale, whatever...just get it gone! This blog so blessed me (a few more tears falling right now) and I feel it really is a confirmation of my duty ahead. Get the "stuff" gone :) Thank you for this...blessings to you!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

The Shema was one of the first portion of scriptures I memorized when I started doing Bible study. I've always wanted one as well.

As for hoarding, my closet is fairly empty, but there are other releases that need to take place.

What a challenging post, Sheri. Thanks for sharing.

peace~elaine

Laura said...

I can't believe how timely this is for me. For the past few weeks I've been working on de-cluttering and letting go of things in my house. I'm readiny an excellent book called "It's All Too Much" and I have a blog post fermenting in my mind for an upcoming date! Thanks for this additional inspiration to keep doing what I'm doing...it's so freeing!

poison_ivy777 said...

Such a good post! And I take it you're almost doen with the James series - I'm in Week 4 so I'm halfway there. It's been SO good. I really stopped by to say thanks for the encouragement on my blog last month. It's aggravating as a woman, wife and mom when we don't get done everything we want to get done.

It's funny you posted this though because I just started reading this book called:
7: an experimental mutiny against excess.
It's a christian author and she took 7 months to rid her life of 7 different areas of excess in her life. it's very interesting and inspiring.

Deborah Boutwell said...

I haven't done the James study but I have been convicted to having too much stuff. I emptied my book shelves not long ago and gave away probably 200 books. It felt good to get rid of them. I still have lots that need to go. FYI...I'm in a couple of those James' tapings. I can't remember which ones and it was right after Mom died and was crying through most of it.

elizabeth embracing life said...

Truly there is freedom from our stuff. I had to lose it all to realize that it had no real value in this world. I believe that God had to get my attention and He did. Today, many years later, I get so much pleasure in handing things over to someone who really will embrace it more than me, and then there are those who pass over to me those things too. Great post. And no I am not a robot.