“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Saturday, May 5, 2012

God Shows Up

Mt. Bachelor at Elk Lake

God shows up.  

I am teaching on Tuesday at our Ladies' Bible Study.  This Tuesday.  Teaching on the book of Obadiah.  One of the shortest books of the Bible.  The shortest book in the Old Testament.  Just one chapter.  Twenty-one verses.  A judgment on Edom.  

I've known that I would be teaching Obadiah for a while.  And it was pretty immediate when I felt impressed what the Lord would want me to share.  The impression was strong.  And I felt comfortable with that.  But the problem was... the correlation didn't fit.  What God wanted me to teach and what the book of Obadiah is about just didn't match.  Not in my mind, that is.

I waited and waited for the Lord to show me the correlation.  How would I segue from Obadiah to the teaching?  I started to feel uncomfortable.  I started to think that I might look a little foolish because I couldn't figure it out.  How did they relate? 

Waiting.  Waiting.  Waiting.  

Then I started to think that I needed to convince God that He needed to change His mind.  I couldn't figure out the correlation... so change the teaching.  But He wasn't convinced... and neither was I.  But Tuesday is getting closer and closer.

And then today.  Today.  God shows up.  He wakes me up and drops the correlation and... VOILA!  It fits.  I get it.  He knew it all along.  

And I wondered why He waited.  Why did He make me wait?  Wouldn't it have been easier if He had told me sooner?  I could be done by now.  Relieved.  Ready.  Wouldn't it have been easier for me?  

Yup.  It would have been easier for me.  
It would have been easier.

If I was already done, I wouldn't have had to wait on Him.  I wouldn't have had to continue to seek His wisdom.  I might have even thought that I figured it out on my own.  And I might have thought that I pulled it off.  

But now I am convinced that I didn't pull it off.  I didn't figure it out.  I needed Him.  I needed His wisdom.  

I am humbled and 
He is deserving all the glory.

And I hope that I have learned my lesson.
And even if I haven't learned my lesson... I know that waiting is where He wants me to be.
Waiting on Him.

Waiting for Him.  

Waiting for God
To show up.

If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God,  
who gives generously to all without finding fault, 
and it will be given to him.  

James 1:5 NIV84







3 comments:

Kathi Woodall said...

I have been there many times, Sheri. It is a beautiful, humbling place to be when He does reveal it to you. I absolutely agree it is to help us remember it's all about Him, for Him, by Him, and through Him. We are just a tool He has blessed enough to be used by Him. As always, thank you for being willing to share.

Tammy said...

I know what you mean. So often we need to be reminded His timing is not ours. We are His tools to use and what a blessing when He does. Praying your bible study goes well.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Not long ago, I had a similar experience... connecting Scripture focus with an experience. In the end, it all came together. With God, life comes together. Sometimes, it takes a while to get there.

peace~elaine