“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, May 17, 2012

I just wanted to remind you that life is messy.

 Sun-Kissed Orange Beauty In My Garden


Quick unedited thoughts as I am about to head out the door to pick up my son from school.

I just wanted to remind you that life is messy.
Relationships are messy.
Church relationships are messy.

I have been having this conversation multiple times over the past few days.  So I thought I would remind you, too.  Conversations with women who want to leave the church because another woman at church has hurt their feelings.

And your feelings are real.
And I am sorry that you are hurt.
I will be praying for you.
I will be available to give you a hug.
And maybe go out to lunch to cheer you up.

But here's what I think...
If you attend church, there will be women who will hurt your feelings.
If you do not attend church, there will be women who will hurt your feelings.
 
Just because a woman is a Christian doesn't mean that she should have the ability to not hurt your feelings.
Christian women hurt other Christian women's feelings.
It happens.

I kinda think that if you aren't getting your feelings hurt at church then you probably aren't paying enough attention.
Or you aren't involved enough.

If relationships were easy, I don't think Jesus would have had to remind us so often to "Love one another."  I need that reminder.  I think you do, too.

Believe it or not, you have hurt the feelings of other women, too.
It's okay.  They have already forgiven you.
Again.

Church relationships are messy.
Relationships are messy.
I just wanted to remind you that life is messy.

7 comments:

elizabeth embracing life said...

The beautiful thing about messy, is you can always get cleaned up. Jesus, he transforms our hearts and cleans it all up. I get messy with women sometimes and forgiveness is that which cleans up. Beautifully written.

Krystle said...

You are right on the money friend!

JoAnn said...

Whether it be home, church, work, wherever...life can be messy and our feelings can get squished. I try to remember...we are all humans and will continue to act like humans until we get to Heaven. Such a good word Sheri...thank you!

rooney said...

amen, sheri. you speak the truth in love. i LOVE that about you!

Patrina's Pencil said...

Very well spoken....I needed that reminder. I just had the same conversation with my granddaughter who is only 11. Life and relationships are messy - no matter what the age. it is a continuous life-learning experience. We were created for relationship. it is our greatest strength and yet our greatest weakness too.

blessing,

Patrina <")>><

Tammy said...

My friend you said it well. Life is just plain messy that is why we need Jesus. Thanks for sharing and reminding us.

Kathi Woodall said...

Absolutely Sheri. Another great post about a subject we all need to remember.