“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Friday, June 1, 2012

I am not sure if it is a "good" or a "bad" thing...

Sunrise Over The Sea Of Galilee
photography by Anthony Kaetzel

(Feeling a little more peaceful this morning.) 

I had this epiphany the other day.  

I noticed that I had been having a hard time getting into my current Bible Study.  I love the teaching time (different women from our church taught about a Minor Prophet each week), but the homework portion was dry to me.  Admittedly, the homework was not the 5-day style I have been used to... and the Minor Prophets are not an easily applicable study.  But it just didn't engage me.  And I was frustrated with myself.

So, I am not sure if it is a "good" or a "bad" thing, but I when I opened up Kelly Minter's Nehemiah Bible study and started to prepare for my upcoming Summer Bible Study... I felt right at home.  It was like I was meeting with a friend.  Studying with a friend.  I am looking forward to meeting back with her on the page and hearing her "voice" while I study scripture.  It felt so good.

Why I say I am not sure if it is "good" or "bad" is because I started to wonder if I needed to grow in the area of being able to do a Bible Study that does not have a "voice."  You know, just me and God.  Or is it okay that I like having someone come alongside me during the weekly homework and make it more of a journey?
 
I thought I would share this epiphany because I think we can be hard on ourselves, can't we?  Here I am enjoying fellowship with God when I study the Bible in a certain format... but at the same time condemning myself for liking to study it that way.   I have to remind myself that I don't have to have fellowship with God in the same way that others do.  

Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you... 
James 4:8 ESV

5 comments:

Sherrie said...

Hi Sheri,
I love this epiphany you had. Thank you for saying what others often feel, but are not comfortable admitting. I too, struggled with our last Bible Study. I loved the challenge and figuring out who was who but the questions were not the usual questions I had gotten really use to studying. I think it neither "good" or a "bad" thing...just as long as your honest with God and in the WORD studying.

elizabeth embracing life said...

Our relationship/fellowship with God is our own. No one else loves Him like you do, nor how I do. It's good.

Go-Between said...

You know my girls love Beth, but they enjoy Kelly's study more. I think it's great to understand the timelines, and who is who, but when I am doing that I treat it like school. And then I have a separate quiet time.
I know, it isn't always 'about us' but I also know that there is a reason God wants me to know what is written in His Word. Sometimes, I have to 'put on the shelf' the things I have learned so that in time, when God needs me to know it, I can pull it down and use it. Those ah-ah moments, when those seemingly unrelated facts come together!
But I too,am like you. Love me a good-change-my-heart-now kind of Bible study. We will start Nehemiah in a week.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I just started her Ruth study and, like you, felt like I was coming home to a warm fire and a friend. It's just what I need right now.


peace~elaine

Tammy said...

Love this ah moment you had. I have been feeling that way lately and discovered that feeling like I was on a journey with a friend made me more accountable and God has opened a few doors that have led me to see sometimes it will be just me and him and that is good too.