“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Welcome Summer. Please feel free to stay a while...

Me and my most favorite Panther
Field Day at our School

It's one of those days in Portland.  A day that hypnotizes you.  Makes you forget about all of the rainy days.  And you think... Yes, I could live here.

So nice, in fact, that we decided to NOT go to the Oregon Coast for the weekend.  Yes, we will take one warm Portland day over three rainier and cooler days at the Oregon Coast.  These types of days are hard to come by... and we treasure them.  Not letting any ray of sunshine be wasted.

So, laundry and dishes and all of the things that I have left unattended for the last week are going to have to wait.  Because today, the sun is out.  And the weather man has predicted a wetter and cooler (by 20 degrees) Monday.   And so, Monday will be a housework day.  But not today.  Today is all about soaking up the weather.

I've been busy this past week.  Busier than normal.  A kind of busy that I normally avoid at all costs.  But it was unavoidable... somewhat.  And I survived.  No ugly cries or over exhaustion or bad attitude.  But a lot of things that went undone around my home and with my family.  But that was then and this is now.

School is finally over.  Yesterday was the last day.  Lots of farewells and good-byes.  The last day of school ends up being bittersweet.  I like it and loathe it at the same time.  Hate good-byes and farewells.

My now 8th grader left for his church youth choir trip today.  He is five days and four nights on the road to Seattle and back.  Singing at about 11 concerts... hopefully seeing one of his best-est friends that lives in Seattle while he is there... and spending a day at a water park (rain or shine).

So, hubby and I are on our own.  Not heading to the beach.  Instead, we are heating up the grill for some Portobello Mushroom burgers.  Then we might head out and visit a spice store or a vegan restaurant.  You know the kind of things that an 8th grade boy doesn't really like to do.

Not that I miss him.  Not yet.  Although he did butt-dial me earlier this morning and I did listen to his conversation for about four minutes.  I guess they were talking about what movie to watch.  Of course, he wants to watch Nacho Libre, right?  Okay, so I am obsessed with that kid.  Sue me!

Welcome Summer.  Please feel free to stay a while...

5 comments:

elizabeth embracing life said...

I have been wanting to work on a paint project. The sun shining, the pieces moved out into the sunshine and I think, I could live here, smiling everyday and feeling just a small kiss of sunshine on my nose. Enjoy this bright light in the sky. Blessings and Love dear friend, elizabeth

Tammy said...

We were blessed with much needed rain but today I was smiling because the sun was out and the morning was beautiful. I hope you had a wonderful day of warmth and blue sky. Blessings my friend.

Hart Leap Isaiah 35:6 said...

thanks for the post,hey I want one of those burgers....i love the transformation among portlanders when the sun shines
Today i just let myself soak up that liquid gold

Janice Rasmussen said...

Aahhh.. It's cool at the Oregon beach, after that blistering hot, humid day yesrerday in Portland!! Sat out in it from 3:00 to 4:30 -- hottest part of the day, for an outdoor memorial service. At the beach for 3 days, to cool off!!! (-;

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Sunshine is always a welcome gift! Soak it in, sister.

~elaine