“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Monday, July 16, 2012

How Many Dogs Meow?

Waiting...

"How many dogs meow?"

Interesting question.  How many dogs do you know that actually meow?  I am thinking that your answer will be the same as mine.  None.  I don't expect a dog to meow.  They just don't.  Why would I think that they would?

I participated in a class earlier this year that was based on the book God Will Make A Way:  What To Do When You Don't Know What To Do by Henry Cloud and John Townsend.  We would meet once a week for an hour on Wednesday nights and watch a DVD segment and discuss our homework from the workbook.

One night, in the DVD portion of the study, this question was asked, "How many dogs meow?" 

We were learning that part of figuring out what to do when you don't know what to do has to do with embracing our problems as gifts.  For example, looking at a particular situation and determining whether or not we see a pattern developing.  What patterns do we have?  Are we repeating the same pattern with the same results?  

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again 
and expecting different results. 
~Albert Einstein


Then one of the authors shared a conversation about a woman who was longing for approval.  She kept going to the same type of person and looking for their approval.  Longing for it.  Waiting for it.  And she had a pattern of this.  What the author noticed was her pattern.  The gal kept trying to get approval from critical people.  So, he told her,
"Critical people are critical.  Don't look to them for approval.  It ain't happening.
How many dogs meow?"
And for me this hit close to home.  Okay, it hit home.  Actually, a home run.  For sure.  I knew that I longed for approval.  Everyone's approval.  And when I don't get someone's approval?  I long for it.  Wait for it.  Pine for it.  And when it doesn't come?  I become obsessed.  I start to think that I deserve their approval.  That they are withholding it from me.  And, you know what?  It never comes.   And honestly, I get a little ugly.  At least on the inside.  For sure.

Sometimes we need a perspective change.  We may want for that "someone" to change, but that may take a lot longer than we are willing to wait... like never.  But if we change our perspective... if we realize that we are expecting someone to give away something that they don't have a natural inclination towards... well, we just might realize that this is not about them.  It's about us.  Well, er, me.  Me.  Trying to get EVERYONE's approval.  Yup, it looks like a pattern.  Not pretty, huh?  But real.

So, I'll be changing my pattern.  I'll be looking for adulation from those who are not critical.  And, I know.  I know.  I don't need the approval of man because I have God's approval.  I get that.  But sometimes, I think we all need a little pat on the back.  Or maybe a sincere word of affirmation. 

And now you will know what I am talking about when I ask you...
"How many dogs meow?"

2 comments:

Tammy said...

I had to giggle at that question. A very funny picture came to my mind. Loved your post. As always you touch my heart.

Sherrie said...

Sheri,
Spot on as usual...it is a great reminder..and thanks for your transparency. I for one, see myself in this. Blessings sista!