“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Monday, July 23, 2012

My Turn.



I guess it is my turn. 

Last year as I watched Anthony cross the finish line and receive his medal for running the Portland Marathon I thought, "I want one of those silly medals."  It's the first time I felt that way.  Odd sensation, but I wondered if it would last.  It did.

Marathon?  No, thank you.  I'll choose 13.1 miles.  And I will walk those miles.  And get a medal. 

I made sure to sign up for the Portland Half-Marathon as soon as it opened since it sells out pretty quickly.  And so, I had about 9 months until the start of the race to whip myself into shape.  I found Hal Higdon's:  Half Marathon Training Walking Program and printed it out.  Yes, I could easily get ready knowing I needed just about 12 weeks for the training. 

Oops, the race is only 11 weeks away now.  And, no, I have not been training.  Well, taking a walk here and there, but not training.  Okay, time to get serious.

Anthony asked if I wanted him to help keep me accountable.  I politely declined.  He asked if it would be okay to ask how my training was going.  "Yes," I said sheepishly.

Today, I decided to pull out the Training Program.  And I put all of the training schedule into my calendar.  Even the rest days.  Especially the rest days.  And wouldn't you figure that today is a rest day?  And, so, I am on track!

I have decided to wear the Portland Marathon wrist band to remind me daily to stick with it.  It seems strange to me to put so much effort and forethought into something that is so... well, temporary.  But I think I have something to learn here.  And I know if I get into the habit of walking it will break the barrier of temporary and become habitual.  And that's a good thing, right?

So, this time it's my turn.  Look for me at the finish line.  I'll be the one wearing one of those silly medals.

1 comment:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

This is wonderful, Sheri. Wish my feet would cooperate. I'd walk these miles with you; really I would.

Happy, safe training.

~elaine