“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

What Good Is It?

A Leaking Window at the Lan Su Chinese Garden in Portland, Oregon
photography by Anthony Kaetzel


"What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? 

Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food.  If one of you says to him, 'Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,' but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?"
James 2:14-16

I've been sick today.  Not physically.  Just distressed.  Wondering.

Am I doing enough?
Am I doing something?
Is there more I should be doing?
Is there more I could be doing?
To help those in need.
To help those who are less fortunate.

Really just torturing myself.
Wondering if there is more I could be giving.
And I realized that I was mostly wondering if I was doing enough according to what other people think.  Especially those who are not yet believers in Jesus Christ.  Wanting to make sure I was being a "good" witness of Christ through my deeds.

I have these moments.
But before I could linger much more on them, God decided I'd had enough.
This afternoon as I read through In A Pit With A Lion On A Snowy Day by Mark Batterson (for probably the 5th time), I came across these words...

God wants you to get where God wants you to go more than you want to get where God wants you to go... If you keep in step with the Spirit, God is going to make sure you get where He wants you to go.  He is always working behind the scenes, engineering our circumstances and setting us up for success.
"We are God's workmanship, 
created in Christ Jesus to do good works, 
which God has prepared in advance for us to do."  
Ephesians 2:10

And I breathed a sigh of relief.
That's right, if I keep in step with the Spirit.
There's no check-list of good deeds.
There's the relationship with God.
Trusting that He has gone before me and will direct me.

God wants you to get where
God wants you to go
more than you want to get where
God wants you to go.
..


2 comments:

Kathi Woodall said...

I go through phases of feeling this way too, Sheri. God always reminds me, like He did you, that as long as I'm doing what He wants, then it's enough. I don't have to do all of it.

Also, I really need to get that book. I've heard people mention it a few times and it sounds good.

Sherrie said...

Hi Sheri,
I have this quote for you;
"‎There is a voice that doesn't use words. Listen." (~Rumi)

When I first read that, I had to sit back and let that one small sentence really go deep. The voice to me is God. He reminds me daily that I am enough..good enough, and most of loved enough by Him...I love you sista!